We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

q uinta da gomeira

uk
Level Contributor
53 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
q uinta da gomeira

hi all has any 1 heard of the above in cabanas please. we are going there with 4 kids . so need to find a bit of info .. if we need to rent acar or is beach nearby thanks

Sheffield
Level Contributor
297 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: q uinta da gomeira

Hi cockneycabby! We own an apartment at Quinta da Gomeira so know it very well. I would suggest that a car would make your holiday much more enjoyable. Cabanas is lovely but with 4 children I think you may need to go further afield once in a while! The beach at Cabanas is about a 10 minute walk away but you do have to cross the lagoon in a small boat (1 Euro) to reach it. If you have a car, it opens up all sorts of possibilities - Manta Rota and Santa Luzia beaches are not far away by car and have slightly better facilities than Cabanas. You could also explore the whole of the west coast which is not far away by using the motorway.

What ages are the children?

Rosie

Mentioned in this post
Rota
Rota
Province of Cadiz, Spain
uk
Level Contributor
53 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: q uinta da gomeira

hi rosie thanks for reply, kids are 15/ 13 / 10 /9 . i rented apartment on owners direct. we been to algarve lots of times but never to the eastern end. i like the look of apartments very much , wouldnt mind buying meself. are there supermarkets nearby. how long have you owned the apartment . wish iwas there now its pouring down here .. if i rent car do you think its cheaper to do when you get to resort or before you go.. regards dave

Sheffield
Level Contributor
297 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: q uinta da gomeira

Hi again cockneycabby. Re the car hire, I think it would depend on whether you want a car for the whole time. If so probably best to book it from the UK (we use Travel Supermarket to compare costs). There are depots at Faro for all the major car hire companies and it's very quick and straightforward. If you decide just to have a car for a few days, there is one company in Cabanas down by the waterfront. Also Tracy Tours can arrange it for you (you will see the sign by the level crossing just off the main road). We've not used either of these though so can't vouch for them specifically. Incidentally, if you decide against car hire, Tracy Tours also arrange excursions with coach pick ups. Again, we've never used them but may be worth thinking about. The excursions go to various water parks, day trip to Seville etc.

We have owned the apartment for two years and absolutely love it. We have one of the top floor ones with two terraces. If you still fancy buying once you get back, re-post here and let me know! They are currently building the last block on the development (not sure when it's due to be completed).

We were there last in April - can recommend a new restaurant that had just opened a 5 minute walk away - O Monte. Also, the Cabanas Bistro (literally a few steps away) promises to be good (it was due to open any day when we were there) as the proprietor used to run a lovely restaurant near the waterfront.

Mentioned in this post
Faro
Faro
Faro District, Portugal
Seville
Seville
Province of Seville, Spain
Sheffield
Level Contributor
297 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: q uinta da gomeira

Ooops sorry cockney - forgot about the supermarket question. There is a small'ish local supermarket on the main road down to the waterfront - 2 minutes in the car, 10 minute walk. They sell most essential things - like wine, beer and fresh bread! For a larger choice, Pingo Doce on the outskirts of Tavira is very good - you will see the signs as you approach the town, by the new bridge (15 mins by car). There is also an Aldi and Lidl in Tavira.

Thinking again about the ages of your children, I would say hiring a car would be a good idea for at least part of the time.

We wish we were there now too - it's still raining in grey Sheffield!

Mentioned in this post
Tavira
Tavira
Faro District, Portugal
uk
Level Contributor
53 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: q uinta da gomeira

hi rosie , thanks for info . you been really helpful. i been seraching for car because thers 6 of us people carrier its about£ 600. bit steep. i might just rent car for a few days. we are going in august we have rented a 3 bed . i just booked flights to go end of sept long weekend, without kids . peace .. what sort of price do u think apartments are for sale . ive seen afew they seem to vary quite a bit do you rent your apartment out . many thanks dave.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
297 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: q uinta da gomeira

Hi again Dave. I guess it would be quite expensive car hire for 6 people so probably a few days would do you. HOpefully you'll be able to get a good deal while you're there.

Our apartment is a 2 bed. It's also on Owners Direct - Ref. P3119. Lucky old you getting another break there. We can't wait to go back in September!

I'm not really sure how much the apartments are going for at the moment. There is a large development further away from the waterfront than ours called O Pomar which looks as if it's going to be quite nice. If you Google that you might find some info. They've only just started to dig the foundations so it's at an early stage. We prefer the location of ours though.

Rosie

Mentioned in this post
O Pomar
O Pomar
58 Reviews
Cabanas, Portugal
Sheffield
Level Contributor
297 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: q uinta da gomeira

Dave - I've just realised, you'll be there at the end of September same time as us! We'll have to look out for you around and about - which apartment will you be in?

Rosie

uk
Level Contributor
53 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: q uinta da gomeira

hi rosie , just got in from work . at the moment i just booked flights . we thought we see if we like the eastern end first. we going 27th sept for 4 days .. usally we got to olhos d aqua , by albufeira . but we fancied a change . mind you i go any where as long as theres abeach and no work ... thanks for your help dave

Sheffield
Level Contributor
297 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: q uinta da gomeira

Dave - I think you'll find it mega different from Albufeira :-)

Hope you have a good time.

Rosie

Mentioned in this post
Albufeira
Albufeira
Faro District, Portugal
Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
187 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: q uinta da gomeira

At the end of March, we visited some of the estate agents in Tavira.

We found Artur Cruz in the local branch of Century21 to be very helpful, and he did mention Quinta da Gomeira.

We haven't yet decided on a purchase so I can't go further than a first impression, but you may wish to have a chat with him/them.

www.century21.pt - acruz@century21.pt

Hope this helps.

D

Mentioned in this post
Tavira
Tavira
Faro District, Portugal
Get answers to your questions about Tavira