We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quiet resorts on Algarve

Clevedon
Level Contributor
38 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Quiet resorts on Algarve

We were thinking of staying at Lagos or Tavira but recent postings have raised doubts. We are active 70 year olds, able to drive, but would rather stay somewhere where we don't need a car. Sea is rather important and nice walks along a promenade! Quite keen on using local transport, trains or buses. Also did wonder about staying a day/night in Faro then travelling on to resort, or vice versa before flying home. Any help would appreciated.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
772 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quiet resorts on Algarve

What, exactly, has raised doubts in your mind with regard to Lagos? I ask because Lagos seems to fit in with all of your priorities insofar as it has a wonderful promenade, only a small proportion of which is temporarily affected by the construction of the new underground car park, and is well placed for your requirement of being able to access local transport. Lagos is at the western end of the Algarve railway network and also provides an abundance of possibilities as far as bus travel is concerned.Buses leave Lagos bus station for all parts of the Algarve as well as Lisbon and even Seville.

It is quite simple, provided that your arrival/departure times at Faro airport are not late evening, to take a local bus from the airport to Faro and a train from Faro to Lagos; the bus and train stations are close together in Faro and Lagos' station is a €3.5 taxi ride or a ten minute walk ( maybe a tad longer with luggage ) from the town centre.

Your apparent liking for the sea will also be well catered for in Lagos; there's the beautiful and vast Meia Praia beach to the east of town, a smaller town beach and, to the west, many small, picturesque coves which can be accessed via breathtaking cliff walks ( although care must be taken as the cliffs are subject to fairly severe erosion in places.)Lagos' modern Marina gives access to all kinds of water borne activities - barbecue cruises, dolphin watching and deep sea game fishing to name just a few.

I strongly suggest that you reconsider Lagos as I think, from what you say, that it will offer everything you seek from your holiday resort.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,165 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quiet resorts on Algarve

I agree with Sagres!

On the Faro question there is an inexpensive Hotel IBIS on the edge of town about 5 minutes from the airport, ideal for an overnight stop before/afcter travelling.

www.ibishotels.com for prices and booking.

Right in the city centre you have the Hotel EVA and the Hotel Faro.

Albufeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
3,240 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quiet resorts on Algarve

I totally agree with the above advice. I would choose Lagos over Tavira any day. It has a much better infrastructure, nicer atmosphere and much more to offer you.

Clevedon
Level Contributor
38 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quiet resorts on Algarve

Thank you for all the information. I susequently read that Tavira was rather run down, so perhaps we were too hasty in our judgment of Lagos. One person had reported favourably on their Resort Hotel but only spoilt by Lagos, just goes to show you can't please them all!

We do like fairly quiet places and will look for self catering, preferably private rental or a small complex.

Isn't Tripadvisor marvellous for information?

Clevedon
Level Contributor
38 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quiet resorts on Algarve

Thank you also for your comments, all taken on board!

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
512 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quiet resorts on Algarve

Hi,

I just wanted to correct you on something. Tavira is not run down. It has a smaller centre and is a bit less touristy. I have been to both Lagos and Tavira in August in different years, and Lagos is certainly much livelier and the town centre is bigger with more ice cream places, coffee shops, restaurants and stores, small art galleries. Both are similar in the sense that there is no beach or beach boardwalk, since these are towns not resort towns. The beaches are all nearby. You will find other places in the Algarve like Quarteira are on the beach. However I much prefer either Lagos or Tavira to resort towns in the Algarve.

One big difference between Lagos and Tavira is the weather, though nowadays it is a gamble: my the east coast, Tavira included, is warmer and the sea water is nice (no mediterranean nice but getting there). Also you will find the beacher near Tavira sandier and stretching for miles. In Lagos, it is windier and a bit colder.

Anyway, regardless of what you choose, why not do a day tour to check out the other place (along other places) and see if you'd like to stay there on your next holiday?

All the best with your trip!!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
772 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quiet resorts on Algarve

If you're considering the self-catering option, you could do a lot worse than an apartment on the Marina Club complex.This would put you within 200 yards of the railway station and a five minute stroll over the pedestrian footbridge from the bus station.

Don't confuse the Marina Cub with Marina Park, the latter being uphill from the Marina and considerably further away from both the station and the bus terminus.

Clevedon
Level Contributor
38 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quiet resorts on Algarve

Thanks for the info., on places to stay. We are off to Bruge next week so will sort out our Algarve holiday on our return.

Clevedon
Level Contributor
38 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quiet resorts on Algarve

We do prefer smaller places so perhaps Tavira might fill the bill, but wherever we stay will take your advice and do a few day trips on the train/bus to look at other places. We do like swimming in the sea so maybe Tavira might be a better option.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Albufeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
3,240 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Quiet resorts on Algarve

Fair enough and hope you have a great time. What no-one has mentioned though is that around Lagos there are also some lovely little towns, such as Praia da Luz and Sagres.

Get answers to your questions about Tavira
Recent Conversations