We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eastern Algarve

Ireland
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Eastern Algarve

We usually holiday in the South of France but fancy a change in 2010. I liked the description of Tavira and Santa Luzia. However as we love going to beaches I have been disappointed by the reviews on this site. Someone said Santa Luzia is smelly! Can anyone recommend a nice pretty resort in Eastern Algarve suitable for the over 60s who are youg at heart? We have been to Alvor a few years ago and also Lagos.

Young at Heart, Ireland

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Eastern Algarve

What time of year would you be going?

Plymouth
Level Contributor
45 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eastern Algarve

The description of Santa Luzia as smelly is a bit unfair. This functioning fishing village, which is self styled as the 'Octopus Capital' is behind the 11 kilometer long sand pit Tavira Island and as such is subject to the sometimes strong odours of the drying salt flats and low tide muds. It is not really a resort apart from the Pedras Del Rei complex nearby. It is worth a visit for sure but you would need a car to make the most of staying there.

The beaches around these parts are not easy to get to, but that has kept them free from development and crowds and they rank as some of the best beaches in the world ( taviraguide.com/tavira-among-world-best-beac… ). It's a short boat ride, or a short mini train ride, or a 15 minute baking walk to the beach!

Tavira is what it is and I love it but there is plenty of advice and reviews on the forum here for that.

Further along is Manta Rota, where there is direct access to the beach and a few restaurants and bars,then Altura and Praia Verde, with much of the same.

Monte Gordo towards the Spain border is more of a resort town with Irish pubs and Indian eateries if you want that sort of thing, big hotels and busy beaches too.

Then finally Villa Real da Santa Antonio, a fascinating old town with plenty to see. Enjoy!

Ireland
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eastern Algarve

Last two weeks in June.

Ireland
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eastern Algarve

Thanks for your information. We don't want a resort with Irish pubs etc. We want a nice village within easy walking distance from our accommodation. We will have a car so can drive to beaches.

South West England...
Level Contributor
16 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eastern Algarve

Would strongly recommend Tavira as it meets all your requirements

Dunstable, United...
Level Contributor
140 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eastern Algarve

Just got back from Moncarapacho, visited Taveria, liked it a lot, beaches try Manta Rota can park and then walk over wooden boardwalk to clean blue flag beach with WC/ restaurant and showers, this beach seems to go on for miles to Prai Verda or in the other direction Barril, park and train or walk to another glorious blue flag beach beach

Ireland
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eastern Algarve

Thanks for the replies. I think I will look for apartment in Travira-sounds good.

Yorkshire
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Eastern Algarve

Hi

We stayed in Monte Francisco in May ths year. It's a small villiage with 5-6 bars and restaurants. It's really for locals and we didn't see any tourists. The bars charge 'local' prices so we could get a small beer for 50 cents and a 3 course meal for 10-15 euros. From here you can vist all the beautiful beaches - we went by taxi ordered by Luis in the local bar, you can also go to Monte Gordo and get the ferry to spain for tapas.

I can highly recommend it if you can find accommodation to suit

Ireland
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eastern Algarve

Sounds great! Do they speak any English?

Seville
Level Contributor
7 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eastern Algarve

Hi! I have to agree with "bigmacsub62" about the "smelly" issue. Santa Luzia is a nice fisherman village and the only smell you have is the so called "maresia" smell. This is the village of the octopus so relax in one of the restaurants you have on the shore and enjoy the specialties.

I highly recommend Tavira, the historic city. The history, the river, the seafood and fish, the almond pastry and the treasure roofs (you can only find here) are part of this beautiful and conserved city of the Algarve. The beaches are wonderful! The Tavira Island is a 11km white sand beach that you can reach only by boat or train (Barril beach, near Santa Luzia).

If you have car and you want to stay in a tranquil, comfortable and beautiful place you have to go to Monte do Alamo. It's a rural tourism house managed by a very friendly owner, Rosario. We stayed there for 2 weeks this summer and the summer before and we just love it. Is good to be far away and feel at home!

Taste Rosario´s meals (just... delicious!) Rosario is also very helpful and give you all the information you need about the city, the beaches, the restaurants, or different programmes. Last year she organized a programme to the waterfall with pic-nic and this year we went for a massage.

I think they have the contacts of the house here on Tripsdvisor. If you can't find them, tell me and i post them.

Enjoy your trip!