We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tavira - escaping the crowds?

Which Tavira hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
64 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Tavira - escaping the crowds?

Going to Portugal for 11 days (4 days in Lisbon) in July-August. During the last week we want to relax, dive and doing everything at a slow pace. Algarve is supposed to be beautiful, however, crowded... We are therefore looking for a smaller alternative away from the biggest masses. Any suggestions?

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,166 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tavira - escaping the crowds?

Have a look at the Alentejo coast: http://www.costaalentejana.com.pt/

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
17,715 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tavira - escaping the crowds?

If you want to dive consider Sesimbra, close to Lisboa. The Algarve it's not more beautiful than the Arrábida park.

Edited: 24 June 2013, 13:26
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
47,025 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tavira - escaping the crowds?

You are leaving it very late to find accommodation at any beach resort in Portugal. Certainly the Algarve is very crowded in July and August.

Some of the Tavira area is not really suitable for diving, The sea is quite shallow and Tavira itself is nearly 2km upriver. The beach there is on an island which can only reached by passenger ferries. There are no roads on the island therefore no cars. Probably a good place to relax and adopt slow pace, as it less crowded than many resorts here. But accommodation will be difficult to obtain.

Edited: 24 June 2013, 14:31
Leuven, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tavira - escaping the crowds?

i think if you want to walk,you can escape the crowds.

For example Manta rota east of tavira,if you walk west i think it will be space enough and if you walk east you will find beaches with few people.

Brussels
Level Contributor
3 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tavira - escaping the crowds?

Hi, i also recommend you Sesimbra and Arrabida area ! It's better for diving, but Tavira is very charming also.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
64 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tavira - escaping the crowds?

I've looked at Sesimbra now and it lookes amazing! Maybe this is the place!?! Only problem: Where to stay? Alot of the accomodations are now fully booked, and I'm starting to panic. Any suggestions?

7. Re: Tavira - escaping the crowds?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Tavira