We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes

West Midlands
Level Contributor
353 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitoes

Are mosquitoes a problem in November in Tavira?

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,174 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitoes

No, they are not.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,139 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitoes

In Tavira right now, not a mozzie in sight.

Tavira, Portugal
Level Contributor
5 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitoes

I think the only mosquito in the whole of the Algarve was in our apartment two days ago, and made a meal out of me overnight! In early February!!

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,174 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitoes

Late x-mas dinner for Algarve mozzy! :) Sorry it was after you!

West Midlands
Level Contributor
353 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitoes

Loved Tavira, not a mozzie in sight and would like to visit again!!!!!

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,960 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitoes

In Cabanas right now. We ate by the riverside in Tavira at sunset the other night and I ended up with more than thirty bad bites. Beware!

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,016 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitoes

It's been very hot lately and they have come out again here as well. Sunset is the worst time but there can always be one lurking in your apartment.

Take any necessary counter measures.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,174 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitoes

It's terrible at the moment. I'm never targeted by mosquitos but this year I am. We were in the Eastern part of the Algarve a couple of days ago and it was terrible there. Here - more central - it seems to be less. Bring a repellent!

Grasse, France
Level Contributor
692 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquitoes

I watched a brilliant program about mossies and the effectiveness of various sprays etc. recently, they had a poor guy sticking his arm in a box with mossies in it to test them, more than ten bites in ten seconds was a negative result. Some sprays only worked for 1 second. Conclusion was that the only ones which worked were the heavy duty sprays which are arguably not so good from a health point of view but considered OK as long as you were in an airy place when applying.

Its kind of galling getting bitten at this time of year but if you want to enjoy the evenings sometimes the only way is to protect with an effective spray. Some may still get you but not so many.

Its a shame they didn't do a similar report on the effectiveness of the various calming creams but the poor reporter doing the tests ended up in a bit of a mess and he wasn't volunteering.

Franklin MA
Level Contributor
1 post
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquitoes

We were in Tavira in early October and mosquitoes were an issue at dusk but they disappeared within an hour or so. Since we were dining outside most evenings, we had to apply mosquito repellent, particularly on our legs. They weren't nearly as bad as what we experience in the Northeast in the US but it can be annoying.

Get answers to your questions about Tavira
Recent Conversations