We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lauterbrunen-Murren-Schilthorn

Singapore
Level Contributor
682 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Lauterbrunen-Murren-Schilthorn

Hi all, will be planning a day trip from Wengen to Lauterbrunen-Murren-Schilthorn.

At Lauterbrunen, I hope to see the Trummelbach Falls and Staubbach Falls. Then a walk at Murren and then up to Schilthorn. Can anyone advise me how this route can be done to see all of the above? Many thanks!

BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lauterbrunen-Murren-Schilthorn

I was there two year ago and loved the area

The thing I did was walking from Lauterbrunnen to the Trummelbach falls (this is in direcction to Stechelberg. From there you continue to Stechelberg and before reaching the village you will see the cable car that goes up to Murren. Once in Murren you can take some some walk around the area and take the gondola up to the Schilthorn.

Once you are in Murren again you can take the train to Grutschalp (o walk to the station (around 1 hour on more or less flat terrain) and take the gondola down to Lauterbrunnen

Hope to have helped

BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lauterbrunen-Murren-Schilthorn

As it may be better to go up to the Schilthorn earlier, it´s usually more unclouded in the morning, you could the the trip at the other direction: going to to Murren first and then taking the walk along the Valley of Waterfalls

Jose

Singapore
Level Contributor
682 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lauterbrunen-Murren-Schilthorn

Hi Jose,

Which means from Wengen, I will take the train to Murren, walk around the village and then take the gondola up to the Scilthorn. WHere can I find the gondola station at Murren?

After I am done with Schilthorn, I guess I will take the gondola down to Murren and then take the train to Grutschalp and take gondola down to Lauterbrunnen?

Correct me if I am wrong :)

BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lauterbrunen-Murren-Schilthorn

From Wengen you take the train to Lauterbrunnen, and from there you have the two choices: walk to the Falls or take the gondola up to Grustchalp and then the train or walk to Murren. I think the gondola at Lauterbrunnen must be close to the station (When I was there you took the funicular, but it has been replaced at the end of last year for the gondola)

Once at Murren, the gondola to the Schilthorn is in the middle of the village, quite easy to find

Singapore
Level Contributor
682 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lauterbrunen-Murren-Schilthorn

Hi Jose, I am abit confused. If i were to go to Schilthorn first thing in the day, there isn't any direct rail from Wengen to Murren? I am to take the train to Lauterbrunnen then take the gondola up to Grustchalp and then train to Murren?

BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lauterbrunen-Murren-Schilthorn

Hi

There is no direct train from Wengen to Murren. You have to change at Lauterbrunnen, in fact there in no train going to Murren except the one from Grustchap that you have to reach by gondola from Lauterbrunnen

Singapore
Level Contributor
682 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lauterbrunen-Murren-Schilthorn

Ic.. if i have to do the other way round, take train to Lauterbrunnen first, then from there do I walk to both of the falls? Will it be a long walk? After that, I will contine to Stechelberg and then take a cable car from there to Murren and change gondola to Schilthorn?

BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lauterbrunen-Murren-Schilthorn

The walk to the falls may take no longer than 1 hour. It you do not want to walk to the falls, there is a post bus going there, but I don´t know the times, maybe another poster may help you or you can find the information in the Tourist office in Lauterbrunnen o thoughinternet!

Take into account that the gondola up to Murren is before reaching Stechelberg, but you will see it quite easly. You will not miss it

Level Contributor
383 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lauterbrunen-Murren-Schilthorn

DOlphinz the best way to enjoy your trip to Schilthorn is to do the circular route. Wengen down to Lauterbrunnen station on the cog railway. Then you follow the cable car sign to Grutschalp. You walk down the ramp turn left and the underpass takes you across the road above and up an escalator to the cable car. The cable car takes 10 minutes up to Grutschalp where a small scenic train meets it to take you along to Murren (or you can hike along). Murren is car free like Wengen, the train station is at one end of the village the Schilthorn cable car at the other. A 10 minute stroll you can't miss it. You will want to spend some time I'm this lovely village either now or on the way back.The Schilthorn trip up is in two stages, firstly up to Birg then another cable car up to the Piz Gloria revolving restaurant. Coming down you should go back down to the valley floor at stechelberg which involves 4 cable car trips the last quite dramatic! At Stechelberg you can walk up to the head of the valley or take the bus down the valley which stops at the entrance to the underground Trummelbach falls. After seeing the falls you can hike or take the bus back to Lauterbrunnen station to catch the cog railway up to Wengen. A great circular trip summer or winter.

Singapore
Level Contributor
682 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lauterbrunen-Murren-Schilthorn

Hi JoeDevlin,

This means I have to take a train from Wengen to Lauterbrunnen station. Then look out for the cable car to Grutschalp. This cable car takes me to Murren. From Murren, i walk to the other end of the village to take the cable car to Schilthorn. So i guess the cable car up to Schilthorn is quite straight forward though we need to change a couple of time?

On a return trip, I will take the same cable car down. But this time it stops at Stechelberg rather than Grutschalp? From Stechelberg, where can I take the bus? Isit just outside the cable station? If i were to hike after the Trummelbach falls, can I see Stabbach falls on my way to the rail station?

Thanks for your detailed explaniation! :)

Get answers to your questions about Lauterbrunnen