We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegan Food?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
450 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Vegan Food?

I will be traveling to Lauterbrunnen in early May for 4 days and need to know where I can find vegan options for meals. I have done a lot of research but thought I'd ask to see if the locals or anyone else knows of anywhere. We'll be traveling all around the region during the day, so if you know of anything in Wengen, Grindelwald, etc., it would be appreciated. I thought I saw someone post, a while ago, about being a chef at a restaurant and preparing vegan meals, but I can't find it anywhere. Thanks in advance!!!!

Northern Virginia
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegan Food?

Bump for information about vegan food options

canada
Level Contributor
7,610 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegan Food?

There is no Asian restaurant in Lauterbrunnen. You can order a salad without ham or cheese, nor buttered crouton. Get fruits from Coop.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegan Food?

Honestly, I think your best bet is to self cater. It's hard to be absolutely confident about there not being dairy or meat/fish stock in things. You can still enjoy mountain cafes for drinks. I don't eat meat, have a vegetarian friend and a gluten/dairy/soya intolerant friend, so I have become quite wily - but it's tricky.

London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,932 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vegan Food?

Lacto-vegetarian easy but I agree vegan tricky, especially outside Zurich. There are options though.

Chinese food, tofu, mushroom dishes, etc. with steamed rice. You can ask about any meat, dairy or egg products in supposed vege dishes.

Italian, e.g. spaghetti napolitana. It will be made with olive oil - not butter. Again, asking in advance is a good idea.

Indian restaurants in Interlaken.

If you are in Bern for the day, try Tibits, vegetarian restaurant with vegan options.

Delicorn is a range of vegetarian foods, schnitzels, etc. sold in the Coop. Some are vegan, for example falafel. Check the labels of others.

Tartex pate is a good option for picnics.

I am wondering if you approached a restaurant in advance, maybe the Silberhorn, if they would adapt something on their menu especially for you.

Good luck! Have fun!

London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,932 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vegan Food?

There is a Chinese in Murren.

www.tibits.ch/d/restaurants-take-away/bern/ for Tibits in Bern.

Edited: 24 April 2012, 10:12
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
450 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vegan Food?

Thanks for all of the tips. I just got back and didn't see any of them until now. It was actually very easy to eat all over. Interlaken as an unreal Thai place and they're very aware of what vegan is. We ate there a few times. My LIttle Thai is what it's called. In Lauterbrunnen, Hotel Oberland took great care of us. Airtime Cafe had some good sandwiches for lunch. In Wengen and Murren, we found places that had gnochi with tomato sauce and it was very good in both places. There were a few other options as well. We were never too worried. Thanks again!

7. Re: Vegan Food?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 08:17