We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage and people on trains... Geneva to Lauterbrunnen

Manchester, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Luggage and people on trains... Geneva to Lauterbrunnen

Hi there, hope you can help me.

3 of us are flying into Geneva on a friday afternoon mid august and then hoping to get a train to Lauterbrunnen at arouund 5pm or later, as it seems cheaper than a private taxi, using a half fare card.

I'm starting to wonder about the practicalities of carrying suitcases from train to train and there being space to put them safely in each of the 3 trains we will have to get? Also, will there be a lot of people travelling at around that time? We can't pre book seats as we don't know what time we will be ready to get the train.

I'm a bit worried about it all.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,128 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage and people on trains... Geneva to Lauterbrunnen

Hi lilypoppy,

If each of you is comfortable moving with your case/s and lifting them up over sidewalk curbs, you should be ok. Each carriage has storage space at the end of the carriage for larger bags, and on overhead racks for smaller bags. Some carriages also have storage between two seatbacks for seating that is back-to-back.

Yes, there will be a lot of folks travelling through Geneva and the Jungfrau region in August; you simply cannot avoid that unless you change your dates.

You could send your cases ahead by the SBB baggage service. You could send them by Fast-Baggage -- if you check your bags before 09.00, you can pick them up after 18.00 the same day. Even though you won't be able to make the 09.00 deadline for Friday, you would get your bags on Saturday evening. You could send maybe one or two bags and then the three of you live out of the remaining bag. You can send them right from the Geneva airport.

Actually, it is possible to send the cases from your UK airport all the way to Lauterbrunnen -- I've done this two times from the US and it works fine. If you did this, you would have your bags in Lauterbrunnen that evening. Here's a link to that service:

sbb.ch/en/…fly-rail-baggage.html

Have fun as you plan!

s

Manchester, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage and people on trains... Geneva to Lauterbrunnen

Thankyou very much for your advice Swandav! Very helpful!

I will talk to my family and see what they think.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage and people on trains... Geneva to Lauterbrunnen

so far I remember, their is NO same day delivery to Lauterbrunnen, but to Interlaken. Do you have that experience?

But they can have their luggages delivered to Interlaken anyway.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,128 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luggage and people on trains... Geneva to Lauterbrunnen

Hi Ivyou,

According to the SBB, yes there is Fast Baggage service to Lauterbrunnen. I can't paste the exact website right now, but you can see it if you go to Fast Baggage under Services at

www.rail.ch

s

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,128 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luggage and people on trains... Geneva to Lauterbrunnen

Ok, I'm at my computer now. Here's a direct link to the stations where you can get Fast Baggage:

sbb.ch/content/…file1.spooler.download.pdf

You'll see that Lauterbrunnen is one of the listed stations.

s

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
249 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Luggage and people on trains... Geneva to Lauterbrunnen

Normally, Fly Rail Baggage (luggage goes directly onto train without the need to pick them up at the airport) has better delivery conditions, time-wise, than Fast Baggage: sbb.ch/en/…baggage.html

Services operated in Lauterbrunnen from/to Airports in Zurich and Geneva, check here: sbb.ch/content/…file6.spooler.download.pdf

For other destinations check the list here (don't forget to scroll down for Railstations with Airport Baggage und Fly Rail Baggage ony): sbb.ch/en/station-services/services/baggage/…

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,128 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luggage and people on trains... Geneva to Lauterbrunnen

Yup, Martin P, that's what I eventually suggested and linked to n my post #1 above. I agree that's the best solution. I've used it twice from the US, and it worked great.

s

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
249 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Luggage and people on trains... Geneva to Lauterbrunnen

Do not mismatch Fast Baggage with Fly Rail Baggage, or with Check In.

A. Fast Baggage is from a (selected) Swiss Railway station to another Swiss Railway station.

B1. Fly Rail Baggage is about transporting your luggage directly from your airplane to your destination, another selected list of Swiss Railway stations.

B2. Check in is the vice versa to Fly Rail Baggage: From a (selected) list of Swiss Railway station directly onto your airplane.

The list of B1 is not he same as the one of B2. E.g. Lauterbrunnen is only on B1. For organizational/security reasons I suppose. Therefore, there is also:

B3. Airport Baggage: from a (selected list) Swiss Railway station to the airport SBB CFF FFS counter, where you have to pick it up and check in yourself.

This one is available in Lauterbrunnen.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,128 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Luggage and people on trains... Geneva to Lauterbrunnen

Martin P,

I don't know if you're addressing me in not confusing Fast Baggage and Fly Rail Baggage. I didn't.

In post #1, I first suggested Fast Baggage but didn't link it.

At the end of post #1, I suggested Fly Rail Baggage and linked it. This is what I posted:

<<Actually, it is possible to send the cases from your UK airport all the way to Lauterbrunnen -- I've done this two times from the US and it works fine. If you did this, you would have your bags in Lauterbrunnen that evening. Here's a link to that service:

sbb.ch/en/…fly-rail-baggage.html >>

Then, at post #3, someone said that Fast Baggage doesn't go to Lauterbrunnen, and my replies at #4 and #5 were to that poster about Fast Baggage.

Unfortunately, I didn't check to see if Lauterbrunnen was available for Fly Rail Baggage.

Well, I hope all of this is clear to the OP. Your detailed post should really help with that!

s

Edited: 09 July 2012, 06:42
leicester
Level Contributor
1,964 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Luggage and people on trains... Geneva to Lauterbrunnen

It is straightforward getting from Geneva to Lauterbrunnen and takes about 3 hours. There is a bit of platform shuffling on route but there are usually lifts etc if you need them. The scenery past Geneva is lovely as is the whole journey. I've done this journey many times, have always got a seat and room for luggage. The trains are not like the uk ones, often have two floors and are spacious. If you are relatively able, this journey is no problem. When you arrive in Geneva, go to the tourist office on the right as you come down the escalator into the train station where they can print you off the journey details showing platforms and times etc so you know where to head for at each stop.

Get answers to your questions about Lauterbrunnen