We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel - Lauterbrunnen, Murren or Wengen

Which Lauterbrunnen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
CA
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Topic
Hotel - Lauterbrunnen, Murren or Wengen

Based on the comments on these forum pages, I've decided not to stay in Interlaken. Now the tougher question is, should I stay in Lauterbrunnen, Murren or Wengen? I'd like to make "camp" at one hotel and hike from there. I'll be traveling solo and staying either 2 or 3 nights. I'm looking for something safe and clean.

I'll be going at the end of August.

Thanks!

Edited: 31 July 2012, 01:15
Canandaigua
Level Contributor
719 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel - Lauterbrunnen, Murren or Wengen

Everything in that area is safe, even a youth hostel. I seriously doubt there is an unclean lodging in the entire country.

I would do Wengen, because you can do either side of the valley pretty easily. You can take the train down to Lauterbrunnen and then the cable car up to Murren and hike all over there, and another day, the cable car up to Mannlichen and take my favorite hike in the area- the walk from Mannlichen to Kleine Schedigg. have lunch in Kleine Scheidigg, then hike down to Alpiglen, or further toward Grindelwald . Eventually get to the bottom of the Mannlichen cable car, ride back up- a perfect day in the Bernese Oberland!

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,933 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel - Lauterbrunnen, Murren or Wengen

Lauterbrunnen is also a good choice. Right in the middle of everything. Murren to one side, Wengen to the other. Ecconomical accomodations are availableat the Hotel Oberland or the Village Hostel right in the center of town.

Canandaigua
Level Contributor
719 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel - Lauterbrunnen, Murren or Wengen

I know there are plenty of those who would Disagree, but I don't recommend Lauterbrunnen because it is so deep in the v alley, it is in the shade most of the day, and the view is UP.

In WEngen, it is sunny much more of the day, and the view is ACROSS.

leicester
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel - Lauterbrunnen, Murren or Wengen

How about Camping Jungfrau? Beautiful site, you can hire a cabin if you don't fancy the canvas idea. It's in Lauterbrunnen and really friendly with a great restaurant and bar etc. I'm not sure how old you are or whether you like to meet others of keep yourself to yourself but the Horner Pub in LB has a steady stream of base jumpers, younger travellers etc if you wanted to mingle. I love Wengen and the views are spectacular but also love the ease of LB. I know many think it's uglier but I find the scenery really dramatic with the overhanging cliffs and snow capped peaks. Murren is too quiet for me, and the wrong side of the mountain in terms of getting around. LB or Wengen are better places to get to and from if you want to move about in the day.

5. Re: Hotel - Lauterbrunnen, Murren or Wengen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2013, 10:15