We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mountain Huts/Hotels

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
5 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Mountain Huts/Hotels

I'm headed to the Jungfrau in Sept 2013 for a week. While hiking is it possible to stop at the mountain huts above Lauterbrunnen for food and drinks even if I'm not staying there?

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,941 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mountain Huts/Hotels

yes. The Schilthorn hut is open all summer and you can stop in. Check with the tourist information office to be sure they are open in Sept when you get there.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,941 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mountain Huts/Hotels

http://www.schilthornhuette.ch/?lang=en

Sorry forgot the link

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,652 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mountain Huts/Hotels

All of the huts in the region are open in September and all will be very happy to sell you food and drink. Do you have specific hiking plans yet? If so, we can guide you to the "best" of them along your route(s).

As Mountaintopper suggests, the Schilthornhütte is a great one; there are many other in the area.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
5 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mountain Huts/Hotels

Thanks guys!!

No specific plans yet. I'll be over running the Mt Blanc Ultra the week before and our hikes will depend on how well I'm recovering. We'll be staying in Murren for a week and are looking at the hikes in the upper Lauterbrunnen valley. We do prefer loop hikes and are not opposed to spending the whole day out.

Suggestions are certainly welcomed.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,941 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mountain Huts/Hotels

The Schilthorn hut I mentioned above is part of one of my favorite hikes in the Murren area. Starting and ending right in the village the hike up to the Schilthorn and back is great on a clear day. Posted times are about 4 1/2 hrs going up via the Hut route and 3 1/2 hrs coming back down via the Schiltgrat. Great scenery the whole way and the reward of the Piz Gloria revolving restaurant at the top. Food always tastes better when you don't have to pay for the expensive lift ticket.

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,652 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mountain Huts/Hotels

Another great loop is from Mürren to the Lobhornhütte and back. A bit of a haul but not as strenuous as the Schilthorn ascent, which may be welcome after your race!

Or, a rather easy jaunt out to the Rotstockhütte and return. Or over to the inn at Obersteinberg and back. Tourist info center or your hotel can direct you on these, they are all very popular outings.

Oh, and don't miss the North Face trail above Mürren. Great food and drink to be had at Allmendhubel restaurant -- and a little lift to carry you back down to Mürren if you'd rather not walk down.

All of these are incredibly scenic. North Face will be the easiest so good for a recovery day.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
5 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mountain Huts/Hotels

Thanks for all the help guys, those are a few of the hikes we are considering. Nice to hear from those who have done them.

Are there any places in the area to possibly see Ibex, Chamois or Red Deer?

I'll also take dining suggestions in any of the area villages.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
686 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mountain Huts/Hotels

Our favorites include Stager Stubli in Murren and Hotel Oberland in Lauterbrunnen. Have a great trip.

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,652 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mountain Huts/Hotels

A large family of Gemse lives under the gondola run from Wengen up to Männlichen. We've seen them frequently. You could take the trains from Mürren over to Wengen (about 40 mins or so) which is a place you shouldn't miss anyway. Then take the gondola up and keep a keen eye out for the beasts. It's also a great hike up but we've never seen them hiking, only from the gondola. The stroll from Männlichen down to Kleine Scheidegg is gorgeous, truly another don't miss outing although the walk is very easy (3.5 miles, slight downhill). If you want to walk more you could go up to Eigergletscher station from Kleine Scheidegg then do the Eigergletscher hike down to Alpiglen -- takes you right under the North Face of the Eiger. Train back to Wengen then to Mürren from Alpiglen station. Or simply walk from KS back down to Wengen.

I have a 35+ page document full of hike, dining, and transport recommendations in the region. You may find it helpful. If you'd like a copy send me a PM with your email address and I'll get it to you.

Zurich, Switzerland
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Mountain Huts/Hotels

thanks for all that useful information!

we are planning on a snowshoe trip this march 1st, maybe out of Brünnen; so i was wondering if the Schilthornhutte or the Rotstockhutte are open? if blankets etc or food?

all suggestions for mountainhuts open in winter in that region are welcome of course

thanks for the comments!

Get answers to your questions about Lauterbrunnen