We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel between ZRH/Lucerne/Lauterbrunnen/Grindelwald

Concord, North...
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Travel between ZRH/Lucerne/Lauterbrunnen/Grindelwald

We arrive in Zurich the morning of 1 July and would like to visit Lucerne and Lauterbrunnen before flying to Prague on 3 July. We have a party of five. Would it be easiest to rent a car, or take the train? It appears to be two hours by train from Zurich airport to Interlaken, from which point we'd have to take a bus (I believe) to Lauterbrunnen of Grindelwald. Is the drive rather easy? It would obviously give us more flexibility. Thank you.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,941 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel between ZRH/Lucerne/Lauterbrunnen/Grindelwald

For a party of five for the short time you are there a car may be the least expensive way to go. It takes a little over 2 hrs to get from the Zurich airport via Bern to Lauterbrunnen. It's a fairly easy drive. Mostly on freeways until Interlaken then it's only 15-20 min more on a two lane road to Lauterbrunnen.

Canberra...
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel between ZRH/Lucerne/Lauterbrunnen/Grindelwald

We are planning to visit next August, from Australia. Can someone please tell me the best way to get to the valley of the 72 waterfalls. We are planning on staying in Lucerne and possibly Interlaken. Is there a bus or train from either of these locations up to the valley of the falls and how long does it take to get there.

Also when leaving Switzerland can one leave from Berne airport or do you have to depart from Zurich.

Thanks

Schindellegi...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Kiev
Level Contributor
3,534 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel between ZRH/Lucerne/Lauterbrunnen/Grindelwald

For your question on Berne airport: sure you can fly out of Berne, depends where you plan to go. Info on direct flights www.flughafenbern.ch/de/fab/destinationen

For all public transporation (train, bus, lake steamers, cable-cars) best is to use www.sbb.ch time table

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,682 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel between ZRH/Lucerne/Lauterbrunnen/Grindelwald

>Can someone please tell me the best way to get to the valley of the 72 waterfalls.<

This is the Lauterbrunnen Valley. It is quite a ways from Lucerne, not good idea to base there to visit the Valley.

Interlaken is about 30 mins by train from the Valley but it is not a good place to base. It is full of traffic, souvenir shops, and large tour groups everywhere. It is not in the mountains nor on a lake. It is a place to change trains.

If you want to visit Lauterbrunnen Valley you should either stay in Lauterbrunnen or, even better, one of the car-free villages above it such as Wengen or Mürren.

The Valley is positively stunning, one of the most beautiful sites in the country particularly when viewed from the vantage points of the car-free villages above. You should set your expectations about the number of waterfalls you will see, however. I know the tourist literature says there are 72 but this is more a technicality. A walk down the Valley (about 3.5 miles, flat) will enable you to probably see half a dozen during August. One is quite large - Staubbach, others are much smaller. However, there is the stunning Trümmelbach Falls as well, thundering falls inside the mountain. Well worth doing!

Canberra...
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel between ZRH/Lucerne/Lauterbrunnen/Grindelwald

Thank you kimsanjose

Is there any sort of transport in the valley especially to the Trummelbach Falls as I don't think I am able to walk the distance of 3.5 miles.

DorothyB

Edited: 10 October 2013, 23:41
San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,682 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel between ZRH/Lucerne/Lauterbrunnen/Grindelwald

Yes, you can take the bus from Lauterbrunnen train station to Trümmelbach Falls, which is about halfway to the end of the Valley (Stechelberg) which is 3.5 miles. The bus runs once an hour along the entire route and back and includes a stop right at T Falls.

Canberra...
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel between ZRH/Lucerne/Lauterbrunnen/Grindelwald

kimsanjose

Thank you so much for all your assistance. I was getting quite upset that I might not be able to see the falls seeing that I could not walk that distance. You have helped me so much, as I desperately wanted to see the falls and the snow mountain peaks of Switzerland. Now the fun part starts, working out the accom. and for how long. You have also assisted me there. Thanks

8. Re: Travel between ZRH/Lucerne/Lauterbrunnen/Grindelwald

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2014, 05:18