We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Schilthorn trip september end which route confused?

mumbai
Level Contributor
91 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Schilthorn trip september end which route confused?

Hi,

We're 3adults+3seniors(minor walking disability/wheelchair) and 1 infant (18m) planning a trip to the BO region (base Interlaken). We would like to do a day trip to schilthorn such that we can weave in all/some of lauterbrunnen,trummelbach falls, stechelberg, murren, gimmelwald, into a roundtrip. Based on the the info on the site i see two options/passes:

1) round trip Lauterbrunnen - Grütschalp - Mürren - Schilthorn - Stechelberg

2) single trip stechelberg_schilthorn return or murren-schilthorn return

I am not quite sure of what the exact route looks like for each option above? e.g. isn't murren schilthorn same as stechelberg-schilthorn via murren? similarly there is the option to take the roundtrip from interlaken instead of lauterbrunnen that costs 125 chf compared to 99chf from lauterbrunnen roundtrip. Thats a lot more than the cost of a interlaken_lauterbrunnen return ticket ~16chf?) Any thing I'm missing?

1)I would like to take a trip such that I can stop at the various destinations mainly lauterbrunnen, murren, gimmelwald for a bit before taking the next series of cable cars. Would this hop on hop off be possible or does the roundtrip have to be done continously without getting off at the intermediate stations? is the roundtrip availble in reverse e.g. finishing in murren after schilthorn? What ticket would serve my purpose best stechelberg schilthorn return or the lauterbrunnen roundtrip?

2) Is this trip wheelchair accessible? Infant 18m friendly (altitude issues? though 2900m sounds modest compared to Jungfraujoch)

Any advice would help,

regards

anyplacebuthere

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,155 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Schilthorn trip september end which route confused?

To get to the last first! Don't take an 18 month old baby anywhere above 2000m. Their lungs simply cannot cope, especially if they come from sea level...

Wheelchair accessible? IF you stick to the cable cars - ie not the Lauterbrunnen-Grutshalp-Mürren route - you might be OK. But almost all the cable car stations have steps. I cannot remember if the Stechelberg station has a lift or not. I walked up the steps. Others - kimsanjose in particular - might have the answer. And there are a LOT of steps/stairs at the Trummelbach falls.

As for the routes: There are two:

1. Interlaken ost to Lauterbrunnen. Change for cable car to Grutschalp. Train from there to Mürren. Walk through village (quite flat) to another cable car and up to the Schilthorn.

2. Train from Interlaken Ost to lauterbrunnen. Postbus to Stechelberg. Cable car to Gimmelwald, change for Mürren. Change again for the Schilthorn with one intermediate station.

The "ideal" is to go up one way and down the other. But life is not ideal... I would not want to be in a wheelchair and be pushed through Mürren, for example... nor would I take a toddler to the Schilthorn.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,935 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Schilthorn trip september end which route confused?

It may be easier to envision if you think of the Schilthorn cablecar as a line that starts on the valley floor at Stechelberg and ascends from there. It has stops along the way at Gimmelwald, Murren, Birg, and the Schilthorn peak. The station in Murren is about a third of the way up the whole route. Now there are two different ways for you to get Murren where you can get on the above cablecar from Lauterbrunnen. One way is to take a post bus from Lauterbrunnen to the Stechelberg station and get on the Schilthorn lift there. The bus has steps but once you are at the Stechelberg station there is an elevator. The other way to get to Murren from Lauterbrunnen is to take the BLM cablecar from the station in Lauterbrunnen up to Grutchalp then transfer to the BLM trolley (train) that takes you into Murren. There are rather steep steps inside the upper lift station at Grutchalp and steps to get on and off the trolley. Once you arrive at the Murren train station you will also have to walk (pushing your wheelchair) through the village to the south end of town where the Schilthorn cable station is.

As Hambagahle says with a wheelchair I think your options would be limited to the Stechelberg to Schilthorn both ways

mumbai
Level Contributor
91 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Schilthorn trip september end which route confused?

Thank you both for that info. things are somewhat clearer now. still a few doubts:

1. once i choose the route the tickets for the same could be purchased at each individual stop /leg? or the entire set of tickets need to be bought at say interlaken? either way would the price be different? mainly would the tickets be valid such that i can get off at an intermediate station like murren, gimmelwald etc, spend some time and then continue the journey from there.

2. i didn't get why pushing a wheelchair through murren should be a problem if its flat.

3. if some of us want to walk /hike a portion of the trip could you advise the route such that the walk is either flat or downhill? eg either walk through gimmelwald or murren.

many thanks

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,632 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Schilthorn trip september end which route confused?

Great advice from Hambagahle and MountainTopper, as always.

>Would this hop on hop off be possible or does the roundtrip have to be done continously without getting off at the intermediate stations? <

Yes, you can hop on/off. Your ticket from Stechelberg to Schilthorn (and vice versa) are not for a particular time they are good for all day.

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,632 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Schilthorn trip september end which route confused?

We were posting at the same time so hopefully the following will clear up any confusion:

>once i choose the route the tickets for the same could be purchased at each individual stop /leg? or the entire set of tickets need to be bought at say interlaken? either way would the price be different?<

Much easier to buy the entire trip from your starting point. The price is no different if you buy them individually or all at once. It would be a major hassle to buy them individually. Per prior post, a round trip ticket allows you to "hop on/off" at any stop along the way.

>i didn't get why pushing a wheelchair through murren should be a problem if its flat.<

No, pushing through the village is not an issue. The issue is the steps at Grütschalp station and the steps to get off of the train at Mürren station.

>if some of us want to walk /hike a portion of the trip could you advise the route such that the walk is either flat or downhill?<

Grütschalp to Mürren is basically flat, about 3 miles. There is a bail out point about halfway where you can pick up the train.

Mürren to Gimmelwald is downhill, about 1.5 miles on a paved surface. You need to come back up to Mürren on the gondola, or do the rather steep walk uphill in reverse.

Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg (should you opt for the gondola ride up from there) is flat, about 3.5 miles

6. Re: Schilthorn trip september end which route confused?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2014, 06:21
Get answers to your questions about Lauterbrunnen