We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fremantle Transport from Airport & Safety

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
214 posts
398 reviews
Save Topic
Fremantle Transport from Airport & Safety

Hi, I would be going to Perth end July, am contemplating staying at Arundel Street, Fremantle, as I plan to spend 1 day at Rottnest Island, 1 day in Fremantle, and 1 day in Perth city. I have 2 questions:

(1) Will it be safe walking back to the apartment at night? We don't intend to stay out that late, probably return past 9pm or earlier after dinner daily.

(2) Our flight touches down at Perth at 11pm at night. I have tried to look for airport shuttles to Fremantle but they don't seem to operate. Our return flight is at 8am. What is the best way to get from Fremantle to the airport and vice versa? Taxi seems expensive at around $70AUD one way.

Thanks!

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,822 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fremantle Transport from Airport & Safety

1. In theory should be safe early evening as close to central Freo- will be busy Friday-Sunday and early on in the evening there are plenty of families around. Exercise common sense and wouldn't be walking around late at night.

2. Taxi is your best bet unfortunately. At those times it is really too difficult to bus/shuttle to city then train. At a pinch you could take a very early train to city then taxi to airport for return journey but no way do a late night getting to accommodation.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,974 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fremantle Transport from Airport & Safety

I agree with Jean, a taxi is your best option to get to Fremantle from the airport.

If you are planning a trip to Rottnest ("Rotto") then please leave the booking until you arrive here - the Island at its best in sunny, calm weather and can be much less appealing in bad weather (cold, cloudy, rainy, windy). If the weather is not good, don't take the ferry over to Rottnest, you will just be left wondering why you have spent so much money to get there.

There are lots of other options for winter weather in Fremantle - interesting museums, old historic buildings, lovely vistas of the Fishing Boat Harbour from Little Creatures Brewery.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
214 posts
398 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fremantle Transport from Airport & Safety

Thanks for the tip, I was about to book the Rottnest Ferry tickets as they have quite a substantial discount if booking is made online in advance. I would really want to see quokkas though. Is bad weather common during winter?

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
23,021 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fremantle Transport from Airport & Safety

Yes. But you also get nice days, like today. Tuesdays are discount day for a short notice trip.

Edited: 29 June 2014, 04:12
Perth, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fremantle Transport from Airport & Safety

I agree with everyone else's advice so far.

The Rottnest Ferry could be a very unpleasant journey in rough weather especially if you are prone to sea sickness, paying on the day maybe worth the extra cost to try to ensure the best weather available during your stay in July.

Unfortunately taxi's are your only option to & from the airport (unless a hotel near to yours offers an airport shuttle that you could pay to use?) There are plenty of taxi's outside the arrival terminal ready to use & a return to the airport can be easily booked.

Private airport transfer companies I have used in the past are : Michaels Chauffeur Services & www.northshoretransfers.com both will be able to give you a quote prior to booking to compare prices & see if they are what you are wanting & compare to taxi fare.

6. Re: Fremantle Transport from Airport & Safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2015, 05:17