We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip advice

Prince Frederick, MD
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
day trip advice

There's nothing wrong with the cruise ship's excursion except that it's more than twice the cost of doing it on our own. The alternative harbor cruise I was looking into leaves from Christchurch, not Akaroa, but I don't think we'll have enough time to do it since it doesn't start until 1:30pm. I have already looked at the website mentioned. I think we'll just spend the day in town.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
253 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip advice

Hi, yes you have encountered one of the little hidden issues with cruise ships. The rather 'special' prices for their shore excursions.

I presume you've checked out the Akaroa Harbour Cruise option and discounted this due to being sold out, because of the cruise ship?

http://www.blackcat.co.nz/harbour.asp

Akaroa is a lovely little village so just hanging out in town is a nice idea. It will be over run with other cruise ships folks but hopefully most will head away to Christchurch so you can enjoy the town.

It is small though and you'll be hard pressed to fill in an entire day. Are you an active person? There are some nice walks in the hills that surround Akaroa.

You may want to consider heading into Christchurch for a wander around, asssuming the ship runs some sort of shuttle?

seattle, WA
Level Contributor
179 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip advice

Just curious if there is a link that would provide a cruise ship schedule for Feb 2009. I would kind of like to avoid a day in Akoroa when cruise ship visitors are there if possible.

Prince Frederick, MD
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip advice

I definitely would be interested in a walk; is it easy to find? I'm not sure if the ship will be providing a shuttle to Christchurch or not, if so that might be an idea for spending part of the day. Any good seafood restaurants you can recommend?

4. Re: day trip advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 19:19
Get answers to your questions about Akaroa