We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Day in Akaroa

Diane_in_SA
Level Contributor
71 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
A Day in Akaroa

Hi

Hopefully spending a day in Akaroa in December with two older teenagers (18 and 15) - can anyone suggest stuff to do? I'm loathe to go on one of the cruise's organised tours - we'd rather do our own thing (both for cost and enjoyment reasons!) so any suggestions of what we shouldn't miss would be great.

NZ
Level Contributor
33 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: A Day in Akaroa

Hi Famrick I think you mixed up Napier & Akaroa :) Napier is Art Deco & has Hooters Vintage cars. It's North Island. Akaroa is on the South Island. It is colonial French influenced architecture & is set in a long harbour. You would have disembarked at Napier onto the wharf whereas Akaroa is a tender port. You got the quirky garden & church market bit right though :)

yngdiego. Sorry you found it boring. I presume the wildlife excursions & walking aren't your thing & none of the tours, galleries or cafes inspired you either. For those who do enjoy these activities there is plenty to do but it isn't for everyone.

There are several kayak options from guided to freedom. In addition to Garry K suggestions

A Classic Ride Honda Goldwing & Sidecar tours, Coast up Close, Swimming with dolphins, Akaroa Adventure Centre, Okains Bay Museum, The Giants House, or check out the walking maps & go for a hike :)

have fun.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
6,209 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: A Day in Akaroa

I did not get confused. Napier is certainly artdeco, as you say akaroa is a tender Port but it had buildings that appeared Art Deco, vintage cars gave joy rides and residents dressed up in period costume. The town is really a delightful place we will be doing the same cruise next year and look forward to visiting akaroa on that trip.

13. Re: A Day in Akaroa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2014, 12:15