We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ferry or fly

Lake Macquarie NSW
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
ferry or fly

Would like to know what people think is the best way to go from picton to wellington.

Can't make up my mind which is the nicest way to go.

We will have about 25kg each of luggage.

One more thing though, I am very scared of flying in small planes.

Keighley, United...
Level Contributor
401 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ferry or fly

I would imagine it depends on if you want to cross the strait in a hurry? And, how poor the weather is!The plane has to be quicker, and, if its clear, youd get some cracking aerial views - tho no photo opportunities i guess. Im not sure how big the planes are, as i dont do elastic-band engines either!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,631 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ferry or fly

Take the ferry. Then you don't need to worry about your fear of flying, nor will you have excess luggage worries :)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,334 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ferry or fly

Take the Ferry. I am quite sure these planes are extremly safe but if you are not into "small", there is probably more room in the taxi taking you to the airport. Wellington is supposedly the safest airport in NZ, because it is the one where they really concentrate!

Anyway the scenery as you go up the sounds is very, very nice.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,631 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ferry or fly

'...Wellington is supposedly the safest airport in NZ, because it is the one where they really concentrate!...'

LOL Mike, that doesn't actually sound very reassuring ;)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,334 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ferry or fly

Sorry I'd hate to think I'd created a wrong impression! Flying in NZ is about as safe as it can get. I would fly to Wellington return 20 times a year and anyone who flies a lot (and who hates flying but..) will know it becomes quite routine. We joke in our office that it must be boring for pilots. However we find it extremly reassuring to know that these highly trained professionals are looking after us.

The worst part of the Wellington flying experience is the traffic around the Victoria Tunnel when the cab was 5 minutes late picking you up at 4.00 for the 5.00 flight.

Lake Macquarie NSW
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: ferry or fly

Thanks Mike57

I have now decided I will take the ferry.

mazvin

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,334 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ferry or fly

Cheers. I feel I may have been a bit unkind about those planes though and I'd hate to put you off. I'm not sure who I was thinking of but not Sounds Air, who use a rather nice 13 seat Cessna for the 28 minute flight. These are a "full hight" aircraft so shouldn't feel too small. So it's a bit over 3 hours on the ferry, or 28 minutes in a plane. About an hour of the ferry trip is through the sounds and it's quite a nice view. Either way it should be a good trip.

8. Re: ferry or fly

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2009, 05:25