We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How difficult is Queen Charlotte Track?

Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
How difficult is Queen Charlotte Track?

We are keen to walk the track but my husband is worried that there are too many steep hills. Are the inclines gradual or steep, and when you are at the top do you mostly walk along the ridgelines.

We have walked the Cradle Mountain walk in Tasmania, Aus.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,856 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How difficult is Queen Charlotte Track?

Hi,

I have not walked the Queencharlott track, but I have seen parts of it, and talked to people who have. Your hsband is quite correct, there are a lot of ups and downs as you cross from one bay to the next and the track usualy goes over the top rather than around the shore line.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How difficult is Queen Charlotte Track?

Hi Sue, I haven't walked the track either so have no first hand knowledge.

This may help...

While the Queen Charlotte Track is not a steep track it is a long track. This means that the distances walked each day (especially from Camp Bay to Anakiwa) can be challenging.

The terrain of the track is regarded as undulating with hills ranging from sea level to a maximum of 400 metres. Most of the track is wide (1 to 1.5 metres in width), and all major streams have been bridged. The surface, being mainly clay soil, is hard and firm in dry conditions but can often be slippery when wet.

For walkers, the track requires boots and a good level of fitness, and the 71 kilometre trip can be done in 3-5 days.

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,568 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How difficult is Queen Charlotte Track?

If you felt walking the total distance is too challenging, you are able to walk parts of the track and omit the parts you may find too difficult. Water taxis leave Picton and offer drop off/pick up services to walkers. Department of Conservation and the Picton I site are the best places to get information regarding current conditions of the track. I have walked parts of it and enjoyed almost every minute of the walks.

Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How difficult is Queen Charlotte Track?

Thank you for the feedback. I think we will give it a go as it sounds a lovely walk. One more question, we will be flying into Auckland then I guess Blenheim. Best way to get to Picton from there?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How difficult is Queen Charlotte Track?

I have walked a couple of sections of this track. It is a mixture of steep and level, however the climbs are nowhere near as arduous as say the Milford Track. It is a well formed track but you need to watch out for mountain bikes. It does have the advantage that you can give up and get the boat out at the end of each section, and you do not have to carry a pack. Picton is about 1/2 hour from Blenheim. However there are flights with Sounds Air between Wellington and Picton if you don't mind small planes (actually they are not much smaller than the ones that fly to Blenheim) Or you could fly Auckland to Wellington and get the ferry across. The trip up the sounds (where you will walk) is a treat in itself.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: How difficult is Queen Charlotte Track?

I have walked it and it is not to bad. It does have its ups and downs but for the most part if you think you can walk the whole thing then you should be alright. It does not follow the shore and is in the trees/ridgeline for most of the way. You are able to have your bags dropped off at each place you plan to stay along the way so make sure you work that out before going. And if it rains. Enjoy! There is a few benches along the way also if you fell like you need to sit down for a bit.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
78 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How difficult is Queen Charlotte Track?

i've not done it, but read this review from the Washingtonpost (May 2009). it seems really nice though!

washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/20…

Edited: 27 January 2010, 04:23
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
492 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How difficult is Queen Charlotte Track?

Hi Sue,

We walked the whole track and it was fantastic. We did lots of walking for a couple of months prior to get our fitness levels up and that helped. Certain parts of it are challenging but you feel great once you've completed it. The gradual inclines seem to go on for ever and then you go down only to climb again! You can have a break after day 3 and do the last bit after you've rested. One company that operates in the Sounds even gives you the option of kayaking the last day. Check out the elevation map on this site:

www.qctrack.co.nz/track_maps/downloads.asp

Edited: 27 January 2010, 07:28
wellington
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How difficult is Queen Charlotte Track?

The Queen Charlotte Track has some advantages over other multi day hikes, The Track is walked in one direction only so you do not see too many other hikers, giving a feeling of isolation. This is not compulsary but the water taxis work out best one way as far as bag pick ups go.

Water taxis transfer your luggage to your nights accommodation so you carry only a day pack and lunch etc.

There are lodges and inns of various quality spead along the track and we found Trip Advisor an accurate guide of their offerings, the larger lodges are older and quite run down.

Lunch can be provided by your accommodation for the next day, and also evening meals, and wines/beers are on offer at most.

Anyway, good luck.

10. Re: How difficult is Queen Charlotte Track?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2010, 05:17