We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight in Picton or take the 10.25pm ferry?

Australia
Level Contributor
295 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Overnight in Picton or take the 10.25pm ferry?

Hi folks,

I'm driving up from Christchurch for the final night of my holiday on a Sunday in January (dropping off a Hertz rental car). Is it better to overnight in Picton and then take the early morning 6.25am ferry the next day to Wellington or is it better to take the 10.25pm ferry the same night, and instead book into a hotel in Wellington? The thing is when it gets in at 1.35am will it be very late but I presume there are taxis available from the ferry terminal in Wellington to take me to the hotel?

The idea is to do a little exploring before my flight out at 4.30pm from Wellington airport.

Thank you!

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,130 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight in Picton or take the 10.25pm ferry?

I would take the early morning ferry so that you can enjoy the view. The ferry ride, especially the section in the Marlborough Sounds, is very scenic. You will still have a few hours to explore Wellington as the ferry will arrive just after 9.30am. The ferry terminal is walking distance to most sights so easy to get to quickly.

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,595 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight in Picton or take the 10.25pm ferry?

I agree with the above post as the hour or so spent in the Marlborough Sounds is well worthwhile. The hour in Cook Strait not as scenic unless you get to see a pod of dolphins. The final third of the journey is passing little wooden, and more substantial, houses on Wellington hills and that scenery deserves a few photographs.

Travelling at night you get to see the lights of Picton and Wellington but little of the sounds scenery. There is some good B&B, motel, hotel, backpackers, camping ground cabin accommodation in Picton.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
79 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight in Picton or take the 10.25pm ferry?

Agreed with taking the ferry in the morning, for all of the above reasons - also (not to put the wind up you) but the weather is usually calmer in the mornings than in the afternoons. :)

I love that crossing, just sitting on deck and soaking up the scenery (whatever the weather)

Australia
Level Contributor
295 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight in Picton or take the 10.25pm ferry?

Thanks all for the replies. I will take your advice and that also means I can enjoy most of the long daylight without having to rush to catch a ferry!

The second question is... I am now staying in Hanmer Springs on the Friday night, and now in Picton on the Sunday night (to catch the morning ferry). Where should I stay on the Saturday night that's convenient for some hiking? I thought on the Saturday morning to drive up to the Nelson Lakes NP and do some hiking around there (is that a nice area?), and on the Sunday do some hiking in Abel Tasman NP or somewhere else that is suitable for day walks. Any recommendations?

5. Re: Overnight in Picton or take the 10.25pm ferry?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2014, 06:19