We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Habana & Trinidad - Can I cover both in 5-6 days?

Boston...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Habana & Trinidad - Can I cover both in 5-6 days?

I am constrained by time and am arriving in Habana on Tuesday, November 1st and need to fly out of Habana on Sunday, November 6th.

Since I am limited to roughly 5-6 days in Cuba, I have decided to cover Habana and Trinidad, if there is enough time.

So, do I have enough time to cover both Trinidad and Habana in 5-6 days? Is it feasible?

I was thinking of this itinerary and I welcome any suggestions, comments, etc.

Day 1 - Arrive Tuesday afternoon on the 1st in Habana; spend the night

Day 2 - Habana

Day 3 - Leave in the morning on Viazul bus to Trinidad and arrive in the early afternoon; spend the afternoon and evening in Trinidad

Day 4 - Trinidad

Day 5 - Take the Viazul bus back to Habana in the morning and arrive back in Habana in the afternoon. Spend the night in Habana

Day 6 - Head to the airport around noon back to Cancun

Is this a good plan? Am I not spending enough time in Habana?

We are spending 2 days in Cancun before Cuba to participate in Day of the Dead festivities. It seems pretty exciting so I don't want to cut back on those days but will I have to in order to fully experience Habana and Trinidad?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm not sure what to do. Thanks!

David

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Habana & Trinidad - Can I cover both in 5-6 days?

The way I look at it.. you are spending three days in Havana and two in Trinidad, Trinidad can definitely be covered in the 2 days you have alloted. Now Havana 3 days in my opinion is only enough for a "taste"

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Habana & Trinidad - Can I cover both in 5-6 days?

Certainly doable and certainly as #1 says only a taste.

And do enjoy Día de los Muertos! We'll be in Oaxaca for the same thing.

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
4,096 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Habana & Trinidad - Can I cover both in 5-6 days?

I will not waste 12 hours of vacations to be in a coach without counting you may be also “killing” a couple of them on your arrival.

I would rather stay in Havana and may be enjoy overnight (or Day tour) to Viñales and/or Las Terrazas for a break of the city.

Enjoy Dia de los Muertos????!!

May be in Mexico but be careful with such suggestion when you land in my country.

First of all we do not recognize this term for November 2nd . We call it Dia de los Fieles Difuntos; and it is not really a “day to enjoy” but a day of mourning. .

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Habana & Trinidad - Can I cover both in 5-6 days?

VoyHavana's recommendation to visit Vinales is also great option.

Calgary,Ab,Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Habana & Trinidad - Can I cover both in 5-6 days?

Hola, Vinales is about a 3 hour bus ride from Habana and costs 20 or so cucs. More casas there than anywhere I've been in Cuba. I would stay in Habana and spend 1 or 2 nights in Vinales. I have info on casas in both places if you need it. Have a great trip! Puppy

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Habana & Trinidad - Can I cover both in 5-6 days?

good enough

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Habana & Trinidad - Can I cover both in 5-6 days?

i too am planning exactly the same itinerary as david f.....we have 5 nights in cuba - arrive on 8 april and was thinking of spending the first night in havana, then viazul to trinidad for 2 nights, then viazul back to havana for the final 2 nights. i know it's a huge waste of time spending so much time on a bus but i'm desperate to see trinidad and from what others have posted here, 2 nights should be adequate.

anybody got any recommendations on trinidad hotels?

thanks!

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
97,886 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Habana & Trinidad - Can I cover both in 5-6 days?

Two nights will be more than adequate. Rather than hotels you should consider staying in a casa particular. There are plenty to choose from:

cubajunky.com/sancti-spiritus/trinidad-casa-…

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,202 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Habana & Trinidad - Can I cover both in 5-6 days?

Our trip was 8 days and we spent 2 of them getting to and from Trinidad and one actually there. In my opinion, the trip would have been better had we spent all 8 days in Havana. In the 5 days we actually had on the ground in Havana and the surrounding area, we only got a taste of what was there.

Not that Trinidad was not interesting. And we did stop at Cienfuego and the Bay of Pigs. But had I had a choice, I would have made the excursion out of the general area of Havana a separate trip.

Edited: 08 January 2012, 04:26
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Habana & Trinidad - Can I cover both in 5-6 days?

#7 well you already know my views on such a short trip LOL!

Yes doable. But yes over 6 hrs each way travelling.

And would definately have Trinidad casa booking before arrival to avoid dealing with touts at Viazul station there. Bellagio's casa site is as good as any. Pointless really recommending a specific casa as probability of geeting aspecific bookin for only 2 nights is not great. What a booking achieves is a guarenteed casa somewhere in Trinidad without the aforesaid hassle on arrival.

Also look at Conectando buses from either Trinidad or Havana as times may be more suitable to you depending on where you are staying each time in Havana.

Edited: 08 January 2012, 05:26