We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport from Santa Clara airport to the Costasur

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
626 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Transport from Santa Clara airport to the Costasur

Ok this trip is starting to become a nightmare booking.

Anyway.... apparently if we book flight and hotel separately, which we may have to do, from Winnipeg to Santa Clara - and then get a transfer to the Costasur - we have to arrange the transfer ourselves.

Does anyone have any thoughts? My travel agent was told through cubatur or Viajes Cubanacan, but I ca 't get any info from them????

All i want to know is approximately a price and what ways we can get there?

Thank you all....

East Coast
Level Contributor
2,005 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport from Santa Clara airport to the Costasur

A taxi is your easiest way. I'm guesstimating it would be between 90 and 100 CUCs one way. You might be able to negotiate it down a fair bit more but I would suggest you plan for 100 CUCs. Always check out the taxi you will be taking before negotiating. If not, you might end up in a piece of junk with no air or brakes! (and you will probably be taking the mountain route!)

You could take a bus for 8-10 CUCs each but the bus only leaves Santa Clara once or twice a day and it may not fit into your arrival in Santa Clara very well. You might be able to find a Viazul or Transatur schedule on the web. That would get you into Trinidad and it would be another 10 CUC cab ride to get you to your hotel.

You can also see if there are any vacation package buses going to the Costasur from your flight. Talk to the driver and you might be able to negotiate something. (Same thing goes for the trip back.) If you aren't taking a charter, there might not be, but there might be another couple going to Trinidad that you could share a larger cab with. You can also check the flight schedule because there may be charters landing near the same time as you so there may be buses there for you to negotiate a trip to the Costasur.

Sometimes a package deal is just so much less hassle and even if you pay more, it is worth the worry-free effort.

ETA I don't know anything about the Cubatur or Viajes Cubanacan options,

Edited: 20 December 2012, 14:13
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
626 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport from Santa Clara airport to the Costasur

Thank you SOOOO much! That is exactly what I was looking for! We just booked our flight and hotel separately today. Unfortunately the package deal wasn't any cheaper and didn't work for us, living in Wpg, so would've been out of TO and way too many avion pts. So we made this choice, direct, a bit more, but with the transfer question answered..... it's ALL GOOD! And yes, we thought of that, the Sunwing flight is apparently booked, but it isn't a Charter - so where are all the rest of the people going???? Hey, maybe I'll start a thread, so we can share a taxi ahead of time... or just wait til the airport.

Thanks again, great info!

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport from Santa Clara airport to the Costasur

Most likely "rest of the people" are going to Cayo Santa Maria :)

Kitchener, Ontario
Level Contributor
2,196 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport from Santa Clara airport to the Costasur

I do not want to be the bearer of bad news.. just being honest... There aren't many taxi's around Santa Clara airport at the best of times ! Hopefully your flight , lands during the day .. at least you can sit in the bar and wait for one.. if it lands at night... yuck.. good luck ... when you landing, I think the Trinidad resorts are Friday and Saturday for most charters from Santa Clara... then talking to the bus driver is good ... Cost should be 10 cuc each person each way.. if there is room ...

East Coast
Level Contributor
2,005 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport from Santa Clara airport to the Costasur

The Halifax - Santa Clara charters go Monday afternoon.

You can check the arrivals at the Santa Clara for the time you arrive to see if there are other flights coming in around the same time as you.

Go here and have a look. http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightStatus/flightStatusByAirport.do;jsessionid=8DB5941D3A2673AA1FABE18DCCF5BCC7.web1:8009?airportCode=SNU&airportQueryType=1

6. Re: Transport from Santa Clara airport to the Costasur

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 23 December 2012, 06:23
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport from Santa Clara airport to the Costasur

BTW just to confirm: Viajes Cubanacan does not stop in Santa Clara. Does do Cienfuegos to Costasur. Viazul would require 2 buses (again via Ciefuegos but only to Trinidad city rather than the resort compounds strip).

Taxi is simplest (and excellent advice from drgdrg about checking out vehicle first). I wouldn't pay more than 40CUC but yes you could be asked up to 100.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
626 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transport from Santa Clara airport to the Costasur

Thanks all just realized I never answered - a lovely lady at the Costasur is going to arrange someone to pick us up - and also to check to see who else coming in on our Sunwing flight on Feb. 8th, who might need a ride to the Costasur... She has been just wonderful in our communications - Mary is her name, awesome!!!

9. Re: Transport from Santa Clara airport to the Costasur

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2014, 06:17