We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

seeing a bit of the island

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
635 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
seeing a bit of the island

What would people recommend, if we were to leave the Costasur resort and see some of the island? Other than the rainforest/mountain trip and the train trip - I was thinking of us hopping on the Viazul and just planning a route for a day.... would we see much? Or would it be better to rent a car? or is everything just too far apart to do this properly? Thanks.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: seeing a bit of the island

Where did you plan on heading to? The nearest areas to really explore are Cienfuegos, Sancti Spiritus City and Santa Clara.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
635 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: seeing a bit of the island

We plan on going into Trinidad at least twice... Otherwise I really didn't know....? Not necessarily towns - but countryside maybe? I noticed when we went from Varadero to Havana twice, there wasn't a ton to see - except the old dilapidated apt. buildings outside Havana...

Just kinda wondering if there were unknown 'things to see' if we were to just get on a bus for ex. and drive......

Is Cienfuegos worth visiting for part of a day?

We will be in Santa Clara on our last day, so we will be able to see all of Che's monuments, etc that whole day while waiting for our flight home.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
635 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: seeing a bit of the island

So what you're saying is, probably not worth it to get on the bus and head south, south-east as we wouldn't really get anywhere....?

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: seeing a bit of the island

Is Cienfuegos worth visiting for part of a day?

=====================================

Not much time will be taken up in Cienfuegos city, I do also suggest you visit El Nicho, it's beautiful

Kitchener, Ontario
Level Contributor
2,199 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: seeing a bit of the island

I agree with ddcuba, El Nicho is beautiful for sure and worth a visit ! To bad it is the wrong time of year , or you could enjoy a swim in the many pools it provides. ( water to darn cold ) ! And if you drive north on the 152 , it is beautiful country side ( take it easy , you are in the mountians ) with lots of small towns till you reach Lake Hanabanilla in Aserredero. They have a small marina there( at the north side of the dam ) , you might be able to book a boat for a spin around the lake ! It's beautiful ...

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
13,296 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: seeing a bit of the island

Viazul is not really an good option for daytrips, unless you are lucky with the timetables.

I suspect you would be better off with a private car and driver.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
13,296 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: seeing a bit of the island

The route from Trinidad towards Sancti Spiritus is quite attractive.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
635 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: seeing a bit of the island

Thank you all, have to look up El Nicho, see how close it is...

9. Re: seeing a bit of the island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2014, 05:15