We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Emergency phone calls

Newmarket
Level Contributor
612 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Emergency phone calls

If I were to need to make an emergency phone call to my health insurer, what would be the cheapest way to do so? Is there a mobile card I would buy for my cell phone or does the hotel (Paradisus) have a landline I use? The insurer says they accept collect calls...can one make a collect call from Cuba to Toronto?

Whenever I travel to Mexico, I buy a package which allows me a certain amount of phone and cellular data but Telus and Rogers don't offer packages to Cuba.

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Mexico
Mexico
North America
5 replies to this topic
saskatoon
Level Contributor
2,062 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Emergency phone calls

The Cuban phone company Etecsa sells phone cards that allow you to use their phones. The cost is about $ 3 CUC per minute to phone Canada.You can not make collect calls from these phones. Many major cell phone companies in Canada have have extended plans for communications from Cuba. I would check with your cell phone provider here in Canada.

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Emergency phone calls

Take your own phone in "airplane" mode, if you have an emerg. turn off airplane and make your call ( if your phone can search Cubacel).

It's not cheap, but it is simplest, if it's a real emerg. why worry about the cost?

( no 800 #'s)

Chris

Newmarket
Level Contributor
612 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Emergency phone calls

T9-- you are right, if it is a real emergency, the cost does not matter. But even if it is something as simple as I have to see a doctor for a bacterial infection, while not "an emergency", my insurance company insists that I called them to advise them immediately that I will be undergoing medical treatment. I made a call to them years ago from Mexico and was on hold for 20 minutes. I would like to avoid a $75 phone call merely to report receiving an anti-diarrhea shot. LOL

Cuba59--i have checked my home carrier. They do not offer extended plans in Cuba.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Emergency phone calls

" I would like to avoid a $75 phone call "

I hear ya there, one year I used my I phone down there( for an extended period) came home to a $2800. phone bill.

Got myself a Cuban # and phone for next trip!

Chris

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
9,587 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Emergency phone calls

I'd look for another insurance provider. I certainly understand they want to know immediately about any major issues however mine most certainly does not require an immediate call for minor claims , just pay it & send receipts.

You can use the resort phone to call if necessary & pay at the front desk it's about 2CUC per minute.

Lenny

Reply to: Emergency phone calls
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted