We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rum, is the local stuff a better buy than Duty Free?

Hamilton, Ontario...
Level Contributor
2,560 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Rum, is the local stuff a better buy than Duty Free?

Again as in the Cigar issue, I know we are limited to two bottles of spirits to take home with us. As I do not drink (except for the occasional beer or wine) and Rose is not exceptionally picky about brand of Rum (she really only likes the Light Rum or Coconut Rum), I wondered if local town rum that the locals buy for themselves is drinkable and a better buy than the "aged" rums one reads as being the big items in Duty free shops etc..

Any tips or is it even legal to buy or have a local buy for you, some rum from a local shop? Any idea on prices???

Thanks

Cobourg ON
Level Contributor
790 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Rum, is the local stuff a better buy than Duty Free?

You can purchase Rum at any store the Cubans can, so have a good time choosing.

Prices can range anywhere from 3-4 CUC, for the cheapest, right up to 35 CUC for Havana Club Barrel Proof, wich is one of the "highest end" rums commonly available.

I've purchased several bottles of Mulatto rum, which is one of the cheaper ones, and I enjoy it so it's pretty much a mater of personal taste.

kent
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Rum, is the local stuff a better buy than Duty Free?

hi G.O.M get in with your barman and you wont have 2buy any 2 take home [havana club light is brill] hope that helps

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rum, is the local stuff a better buy than Duty Free?

As for so-called getting in with your barmen, I would recommend that you buy your rum at the dutyfree on the way out. If these guys are caught giving rum away it is just like stealing from the resort and they could or will loose their job. For the 4 or 5 dollars that it costs at dutyfree, please respect their jobs and buy it there.

oakville ont. canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rum, is the local stuff a better buy than Duty Free?

Good day to you G O M

In regards to the rum...

I've bought 3yr old, 5yr old and 7yr old rum on my travels to Cuba and I found the 7yr old rum far superior to the others. As far as the barman goes I would ask them to let you try different rums so as for you to choose the one you like. The duty free at the Holguin airport is (was) cheaper than the resort store when I was there this past April (not by much).

You should take the horse and buggy ride to the nearest "pueblo" and see if the local rum is available. I can almost guarantie you will not like it. Get prices on horse and buggy before you get on it.

Enjoy your trip.

Canada
Level Contributor
90 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Rum, is the local stuff a better buy than Duty Free?

We buy our rum-loving parents the 7 year old dark at the airport every year. We don't have to haul it around and it is a superior tasting rum. You won't find prices varying to widely on any items in Cuba. Having said that, I have not been to Havana....

Hamilton, Ontario...
Level Contributor
2,560 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rum, is the local stuff a better buy than Duty Free?

Hi thanks for the information. I would not want to put anyone in Cuba in a position of being fired, or worse, investigated. I will sample some of the rum at the bar, and buy accordingly. Thanks for the heads up on this stuff.

Someone else mentioned one of the beach bartenders or beach staff was an angler and could arrange to take you out barracuda fishing in his own boat. I wonder if that isn't taking a risk in 'competing' with the tours. I would hate to take advantage of such an offer only to find later it cost someone his livelihood.

So many things to keep in mind, especially the fact that a job like they have at the resort, menial as it may seem to some of us, is something they worked very hard to even get. Putting them in a position of possibly losing it for a few CUC is just not very noble of us.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rum, is the local stuff a better buy than Duty Free?

Well said grumpy. I totally agree.

Burlington Ontario
Level Contributor
181 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rum, is the local stuff a better buy than Duty Free?

The rum was slightly cheaper at Holquin airport than at the resorts, but not by much.

The white rum is very cheap and is OK mixed but it is nothing as good as the 7 year old Havana Club for those who like dark rum. As I recall, a 25 ounce bottle of 7 year old Havana club is around 15 pesos dollars. The cheaper white rum is 5 pesos or less, so certainly not cheap by Cuban standards. First trip to Havana this year I bought one 25 ounce bottle of 7 year old Havana club (my favorite)for about 15 pesos and one 12 ounce bottle of cheap white Rum for 2.5 pesos or some such very low price. That put me at exactly 1.13 litres ; the legal amount to bring back to Canada. I guess at the airport in Canada they are normally OK with 2 , 25 ounce bottles.

2, one litre bottles can be a problem. Seems that most people get away with that but not always.

I was told that the 5 (or maybe 4) year old Reserve Havana Club dark rum is a good buy. A one litre bottle of that one was selling for about 10 pesos at Lunas y Mares store. (I decided to get the 7 year old again even though it is almost twice the price; because I know for sure I like that one).

kent
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Rum, is the local stuff a better buy than Duty Free?

to be honest that never dawned on me we use our extra weight allowance to take clothes and fishing tackle[rods,reels,hooks ect]that we give away and rum/flowers appear in our room! The sunbed man in front of beach bar has an anchor for a pedallo that you can borrow , and fish from.

PS please take your own fishing gear as there is no where to hire or buy it .(only one fishing shop in Cuba and thats in Havana so they only have what people leave! )KFM

10. Re: Rum, is the local stuff a better buy than Duty Free?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 07:19