We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Identification Stickers

Banbury, United...
Level Contributor
743 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Identification Stickers

One of the great things about this site is the opportunity to make new friends, often from different countries, while travelling.

There are many posts on here about people meeting up when staying at a particular hotel and I hope to share a drink or two with new friends when I’m at Playa Pesquero in February. But how do we recognise each other?

How about making up simple stickers with the Trip Advisor Owl’s picture and perhaps our name and / or our TA members name underneath. Then when go to the bar at the appointed time simply pop the sticker on and there is a greater chance of meeting fellow TA members.

It could be taken further with ‘official’ TA badges - but that is getting ambitious.

OK we might get funny looks from other guests but if that bothers you then there is no need to join in.

Other ideas and comments welcome, even if it’s just to tell me it’s a crazy idea, it’s been tried before or I’m just a sad person with no friends. (Someone might even support the idea!!)

Rodney

Mentioned in this post
Playa Pesquero
Playa Pesquero
680 Reviews
Cuba
Hamilton, Ontario...
Level Contributor
2,560 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Identification Stickers

Hey Ball Caps!!! You know the baseball type caps with logos. Except with the Owl we have our screen name on it! Brilliant Idea...wonder why TA hasn't thought of it themselves...quick run to the patent office and corner the market!

Actually I have made arrangements to meet up with a few people. However; like Mount Everest I am not often mistaken for anyone else (being as big and as distinctive makes it easy to say look for the big 400 LB guy on the beach with a long grey beard and flowing dark hair). Also have told people who are going to look for us to leave a message at the front desk so we can know what rooms they are in, or find out ours.

Banbury, United...
Level Contributor
743 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Identification Stickers

Bother - Didn't think of patenting the idea first!!

Extend your stay by a week James and I'll look out for you and Rose. Like the idea of the logo on baseball caps. Perhaps on a Cricket cap too.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,939 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Identification Stickers

Wouldn't people know what you look like by your profile pic? For example....Macdon and Loonylou would be quite easily identified by their pictures....couldn't miss those two hot chicks anywhere!

I found Manfred once in Varadero by his pic....plus he was the one most looking like he needed a mojito.

Mentioned in this post
Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
141 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Identification Stickers

Well I think its a fantastic idea, particuarly at somewhere like PP, because of the size of the resort, so many lovely, helpful warm people that you'd love to meet in person, but how the H do you know who they are when you're there?

When in Feb are you there Rodney and how is Banbury?

Banbury, United...
Level Contributor
743 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Identification Stickers

adanac55

Pictures are small and low resolution so quite difficult to recognise people. Would have problems recognising you from yours!

Macdon and Loonylou would be easy to spot - just look out for the huge crowd wherever they go.

Hayley

I'll be there 7 to 21 February and Banbury will be COLD then!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,939 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Identification Stickers

There was a couple from the east coast and some people from Calgary that were on the same posts as us and going down to Palma Real in Varadero and we ended up private messaging each other to arrange for a meeting spot. Maybe you could try that route? It sure was fun to meet up with everyone. It's amazing just how much you can learn from people on this forum. One group of guys we just had a feeling it might be them and when we asked...it was them...imagine that! We could just tell by what details we gathered about them from this site.lol

Mentioned in this post
Kitchener, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Identification Stickers

You will have to see me when I first wake up to recognize me from my pic

Banbury, United...
Level Contributor
743 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Identification Stickers

You mean that's not your normal appearance Paul!

Think I'll start working on my stickers. Anyone else going to PP going too join in?

Rodney

Kitchener, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Identification Stickers

The idea is good. Shame we will miss you by a week.

We are going to be PP the same time as grumpy.

Who knows.... maybe next year we can try to set up a date to get everyone booking for the same time.

Paul

oakville ont. canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Identification Stickers

Hi Rodney

With all these ideas being thrown around I thought of throwing one in myself. My thought is... reserve a table for the Trip Advisor (Holguin forum) gang at the lobby bar. Do this at each resort in Holguin. Last one to arrive buys the round.

Happy travels.

Mentioned in this post