We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DVD player to Holguin

Montreal
Level Contributor
205 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
DVD player to Holguin

Hi

Have been to Holguin several times but need info from someone who went recently about bringing a DVD player.

We brought one with us 6 months ago to give to our friend in the hotel--but got stopped at customs and they took took it away. We were supposed to pick it up on our way home but decided to leave it there when the cost of getting it back was almost the same as the value of the machine.I understand now that the law has changed and we can bring it in?

It would be a regular machine (not one for personal use) = does anyone know i this would be OK and if there would be any charge.

Thanks!

South Shields...
Level Contributor
126 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DVD player to Holguin

Hi - My UK travel agent still advises us not to take any form of DVD player.

There is a customs website that you could check -

http://www.aduana.co.cu/pasajero3.htm

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: DVD player to Holguin

Was down to Cuba last Oct. and looked into the cost at customs. For a regular DVD player you will be charged approx. 75CUC to bring it in to the country. Hardly worth it since they are only $25 here. I would suggest taking a portable one instead. Say it is for your own personal use.

Newport, United...
Level Contributor
948 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DVD player to Holguin

hi i wanted to bring a portable dvd player also for my use but read in the lonely planet guide it is against there laws to bring 1 into the country only a cd player is allowed??????

Hamilton, Ontario...
Level Contributor
2,560 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DVD player to Holguin

Seems to be a lot of question about that. Our travel agency paperwork specifically says NO DVD Players, but I have read dozens of review and answers that say absolutely you can take a PSP and portable dvd player....

Kentville, Canada
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DVD player to Holguin

as i've posted in several threads, my own experience in Oct at Havana.

was given choice of abandoning, pay 50 CUC duty, or 3 CUC storage per day til i pick it up on my way back (we're talking about a $35.- walmart machine)

Spanish section of Cuban customs website (not English part) says portable dvd players ok to bring. Was also told this by Customs folks when I told them Customs site said it was ok to take them in (at the time it did, but was modified as described above)

Several people have posted that they had no issues bringing in portable dvd players.

Newport, United...
Level Contributor
948 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DVD player to Holguin

well my dvd player cost me £90 sterling so i dont think i will take the risk thanks.

Picton, Canada
Level Contributor
667 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: DVD player to Holguin

Something to keep in mind - DO NOT rely on your TA to provide accurate info other than your fligth times and hotel bookings. This forum has proven that disinformation has been given by so many TA's. This of course does not apply to ALL TA's, but clearly many of the posters here on tripadvisor have been given the wrong info - either out of date or just completely wrong. So double check with the Cuban consular office or listen to the advice from the seasoned travellers here.

8. Re: DVD player to Holguin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 16:17