We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

School near PRDO

Newmarket, ON...
Level Contributor
382 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
School near PRDO

My wife and I are heading to PRDO this July. We are wondering if there is an elementary school nearby where we can deliver school supplies.

Also, if there are more seasoned Cuba travelers (this is our first to Cuba), can you recommend any specific supplies in need?

Thanks in advance

Bob

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Suffolk, UK
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: School near PRDO

You will be pleased to know that the PRDO entertainment staff organise a trip from the hotel to a village called Casa Boca. They will either visit a tiny village school just outside the village or the large school (3 classes) in the village. there are apparently three schools in the area and they share everything that is left for them. Exercise books, paper, pencils, erasers, pencil sharpeners, crayons etc are very welcome. Once a child has filled in their book they have to erase the work and reuse the paper. We also left some sweets, a phrase boook, maps and a book on cuban birds.

As well as visiting the school you see the doctors (what an eyeopener!) village store where there is still rationing, farmers/fishermans house and learn some of the history of the area - all for 6cuc per person. Well worth going.

We have just returned from our third trip to the hotel and it is as good as ever. Hope you have a brilliant time.

Newmarket, ON...
Level Contributor
382 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: School near PRDO

chartor86:

Thank you for your response and advice. Visiting this village will be a highlight of our trip, I'm sure.

Thanks again

Bob

ontario
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: School near PRDO

if you bring kids' books they cannot be american oriented ,spanish written books only,cause we saw people who had them confiscated,also do not buy cigar from beaches or shady areas as they are not ligit ones ,they will be taken away at the airport.the workers love pens w/canada flag on it,or baseball hats w/canada on it,but pesos are greatly appreciated for tips ,and why not ,you 're not going to spend money anywhere else so treat them good ,thae are friendly people,and well deserving.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
257 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: School near PRDO

Hi,

We are going to the PRDO in July for our honeymoon and would like to take some things for one of the local schools.

Does anyone know if the school is open in the summer (late July/early Aug) or will they be on their summer holiday as in the UK?

My partner is a school teacher here and we have been talking about possibly getting the kids in her class to make up little boxes for us to take out and give to the children at the school?

Do you think this would be a good idea? She also has access to some left over, new, exercise books that we were going to take as well.

We were also hoping to be able to talk Thomson Airlines into letting us have some extra baggage allowance to be able to take this stuff with us, does anyone have any top tips or success stories in doing this before I contact them?

186 days to go!!!!

Thanks!

Dunstable, United...
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: School near PRDO

Hi we are out Early July like 29 June.

I am sorry to say that don't think you will get anywhere with Thomson many people have tried without success, but they can only say yes or no go for it.

You will love the PRDO we are back for 2nd visit if you want any info pm me.

6. Re: School near PRDO

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 03:18