We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping/gifts and exchange

Warrington
Level Contributor
7 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping/gifts and exchange

we're going to the Paradisus rio de oro on saturday, can anyone advise about tipping? some have suggested taking a bag of £1 coins, other suggest exchanging sterling and using local currency and what are good gifts?

also, did anyone use either an asda or tesco credit card there; is this ok or silly charges?

many thanks

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
19,496 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping/gifts and exchange

Tip in cucs. The porters always have £ to try and get converted to cucs, you would not expect to be able to use cucs here in the UK.

I will suggest you type gifts into search box and there will be loads.

No idea of credit cards.

montreal
Level Contributor
10,246 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping/gifts and exchange

Keep your coins home they will be stock with them not good there why not do like most people do tip them with there money which is CUC ..

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
98,879 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping/gifts and exchange

Please don't tip in pound coins. Take sterling notes and exchange these for CUC's when you reach the resort hotel.

If you want to exchange at the airport you will have to walk down to the Cadeca (money exchange bureau) that is situated in the Departure Hall.

Tesco credit cards are accepted probably Asda too, but I'm not sure on the issuing bank of the latter.

Gloucestershire, UK
Level Contributor
595 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping/gifts and exchange

Tip in CUC if possible but if you have not had chance to change money before you get to the hotel the guys who bring your luggage etc will be ok with £. We were asked a couple of times by staff etc to change pound coins into CUC which we were glad to do for them as they cannot use them over there.

London, UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping/gifts and exchange

Furthermore what's this about taking deoderant and smellies for tips? I'm travelling to Paradisus in September on my own and not sure if thats what I fancy taking. Would they rather have a stick of deoderant than a couple of quid?

Please advise.

Thanks.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
98,879 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping/gifts and exchange

It's a matter of choice. When I stayed in the hotels I only tipped with money. It doesn't take up any weight in the suitcase.

Trust me you'll be fine just to tip with money.

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping/gifts and exchange

"Would they rather have a stick of deoderant than a couple of quid?"

Without a doubt, a couple of quid LOL

huddersfield
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping/gifts and exchange

i have just come back today change your money in hotel the rate is 1.7 c.u.c peso to the pound and genarally tip in 1 pesos bearing in mind the average wage per month is 24 pesos i took pencils crayons colourin pads and they love toothpaste u will love it and book yr resturants b4 u go online the japanee is wickked watch out 4 the frogs and crabs late at nite

Essex
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping/gifts and exchange

It may be worth taking some £5 notes with you, I was approached by two taxi drivers at Holguin Airport and asked if I would change some pound coins into £5 notes (fortunately I had some, more luck than judgement) so they could then exchange them at the Cadeca.

10. Re: Tipping/gifts and exchange

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 04:19