We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing Resorts

hamilton
Level Contributor
203 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Changing Resorts

Ok this might seem a little lame but if you book a resort would you be able to change to another one in the same area. I am concerned about the stairs at the OGPT for my mom and mother in law. When we booked the trip the TA wasn't to concerned but now I'm having some concerns.

London
Level Contributor
769 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Changing Resorts

I would suggest you discuss this with your TA before you leave. It is always more expensive to change once in resort as they charge various admin fees.

Put your concerns in writing to your TA and ask for a written response.

I would suggest posting a question on this forum about the stairs, you should get some honest responses, based on people who have actually been and not your TA's interpretation.

AMD

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
2,880 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Changing Resorts

There are definitely A LOT of stairs at the OGPT however, there are carts that go around the resort all day and will pick you up and take you where you want to go. You can also call from your room and request a pick up!!!!

hamilton
Level Contributor
203 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Changing Resorts

thanks for the info i think we will stay where we are and deal with it when we get there

hamilton
Level Contributor
203 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Changing Resorts

I heard of a man who had a knee replacement on another forum and he didn't have any problem so I will stop worrying about this and get ready t go. Thanks a bunch

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,939 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Changing Resorts

I was reading one of your posts on another thread and was wondering if the stairs would be a bit much for your mom and mother and law. We are headed to that resort in Dec and knew ahead of time that there were many stairs but since we are traveling with teens it will cause no problem. Although it is a beautiful resort and we are really looking forward to our stay there...it may cause some difficulty for you especially if you are always having to call for a golf cart to drive the older ladies around. I suggest you at least try to change and it is worth a try.

I want to share our story about changing resorts from this past March and maybe it will help you out. We were set to go to the Brisas when we originally booked our March 2008 holiday. As time went on Brisas had just under gone ownership change and was getting really lousy reviews. Even long time posters on this site were mentioning problems so we decided to ask about a change (I think it's better now). I emailed our agent which was itravel (we booked online) and said in the email that we were really looking forward to our trip and had fantastic holidays with Sunquest in the past (that was our tour operator for this trip) but we wanted to know how much it would be to upgrade to another property. We asked for them to quote us a rate for a switch to Playa Pesquero or PRDO. After a couple of days we heard back that it would be $125 per person to switch to PP and $849 to switch to PRDO. Well, we jumped at the opportunity to go to PP because at the time of booking...PP was valued at much more than $125 per person more. Until we actually got to the resort...we were paranoid that they would tell us that there had been some big error and we couldn't go to PP. In the end we did in fact get to go there and loved it. PP is a huge property and may not suit your needs but one of the smaller resorts like Blau Coste Verde may be better. I think it's worth a try to switch. I don't know if Playa Coste Verde would be suitable but it's right between Blau and PP.

Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Brisas Guardalavaca Hotel
Brisas Guardalavaca Hotel
4,379 Reviews
Cuba
Playa Pesquero
Playa Pesquero
716 Reviews
Cuba
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,939 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Changing Resorts

Sorry one more thing....If you at least try to get a quote on switching then at least you can weigh out your options. We've never been to OGPT but have heard it's got lots of stairs and says on many tour operator sites that it is not recommended for people with mobility problems. I know that the section 400 and 500 are mid way between the beach the hotel so why don't you get a hold of a map and check out the resort layout and figure out where your moms would spend most of their time and try to get their rooms near there.

hamilton
Level Contributor
203 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Changing Resorts

Thank you for the information I will check out the layout of the resort and see about switching rooms

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Changing Resorts

Here is a link to a map of the resort. Hope it helps.

…webshots.com/photo/1122742489035014968nfrtsh

Wendy

9. Re: Changing Resorts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 12:22