We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bit of advice needed please....

Dudley
11 posts
Save Topic
Bit of advice needed please....

Myself and my girlfriend are travelling to Playa Pesquero on 3rd June and having never travelled to Cuba before and never stayed at an all inclusive hotel before either.

I was wondering how much money people took with them on previous visits to the PP, or are planning to take with them.

We intend on going on a couple of trips whilst out there, definitely the overnight stay in Havana. So that accounts for our first £600 I assume.

But, can you get by most days without spending a penny as you would expect being an all-inclusive resort or will tipping eat away at my holiday fund?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Playa Pesquero
Playa Pesquero
714 Reviews
Cuba
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Gatineau
Level Contributor
439 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bit of advice needed please....

Well, tipping is rather a controversial and ambiguous subject. Many threads have dealt with this in the past.

Here is a quote from an Transat Holidays brochure we received upon arrival at an Hoguin resort:

"Tips are accepted and are at your discretion. We recommend leaving between 10% and 15%, depending on the service provided."

And that's pretty well what we've done. One simply considers and accepts that tipping, even at an AI, is part of the deal and to be calculated as part of the expenditures.

Then you can just enjoy your holiday without worrying about trivial details.

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
498 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bit of advice needed please....

We ussually tip 1 CUC at breakffast & lunch, and 3 or 4 at dinner, depending on the service.

A couple of CUC's throughout the day for bar staff, plus 1 CUC plus a small gift for the maids.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
104,307 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bit of advice needed please....

If you are planning on the Havana overnight trip and one other you will definitely need to take a minimum of £1000 between you.

Tipping is a personal thing and you should only tip in CUC's - Cuban Convertible Pesos and I would suggest you tip for good service.

1 CUC (peso) is quite sufficient for most occasions. Remember that is more than the average resort worker earns in a DAY.

The barman I would tip 1 CUC's for every third round of drinks - they, and the chambermaids, do very well out of tips. A la carte restaurants tip 1- 3 CUC's, Buffet restaurants it's up to you, but I would say 1-2 CUC's depending on service.

I would suggest that 5 CUC's is the maximum to tip on any one occasion, and PLEASE don't overtip.

Mentioned in this post
Ontario
Level Contributor
189 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bit of advice needed please....

Hi Ritchie:

To me, all inclusive means that the hotel is paid by the tour operator for all costs that you incur - BUT they do not give a centavo of tips to the staff. Tips are over and above what you have paid to your tour operator - and should be given as you would give at home. I must say that I was appalled on my recent trip to Cuba to see that many people did not bother tipping in the buffet and at lunch! I would never dream of doing this at home and so I would never do it in Cuba either. I think adequate service deserves a moderate tip and exceptional service deserves a good tip. In Canada, we use a tipping guideline of 15% - 20%. So to tip 1 or 2 pesos for a buffet meal and 3 - 5 pesos for a la carte table service, and a peso for every couple of drinks, seems only reasonable. The staff in Cuban resorts work hard and earn little. I think if I can afford a holiday, I can afford to tip to show my appreciation. To do otherwise, almost feels exploitative.

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
104,307 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bit of advice needed please....

Dundastraveller:

I should point out that in Britain we do not tip like Canadians.

As I said tipping is a personal thing and if people choose not to tip that is their prerogative.

Ontario
Level Contributor
189 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bit of advice needed please....

Thanks for the info about British tipping, Bellagio. When we were in the UK several years ago, we tipped in Canadian fashion and no one remarked on it at all, so I guess it was all right by the servers. I will continue to do what feels right to me. You are correct, it is very much an individual thing.

Ontario
Level Contributor
120 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bit of advice needed please....

I perfer to Tip with small gifts, and we take a lot with us. From fishing tackel to table cloths, and we always give gifts to the gardner, which are normally left out of the picture - but leaves the grounds so beautiful for all to enjoy.

When tipping with money, what percentage goes to the government and what percentage goes to the resort. How much does the person actually get.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
104,307 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bit of advice needed please....

None goes to the goverment and none to the resort. Sometimes the tips are split ie: waitresses in one section of the buffet restaurant generally pool their tips with others in that section. The same applies in the bars.

New Brunswick
Level Contributor
192 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bit of advice needed please....

Iam like Jeff i take small gifts for servers they get to keep it to them selves. They love things for there childern they are like us as in they want the best for our childern too! Cash tips are split the Gov takes out $$$ for all broken Glasses ect. they get the rest.( I was told this by a server.) We went to a rest. At lunch and my sister gave a girl a pack of crayons soon we had 4 waitresses looking after us they were very happy with the gifts we gave them some reconized us for other years and hugged us as we left.

I have been to PP 4times I have talked in length with people there about tips as Iam a server at home One of my fav Waiters says his co workers say to him why do you give good service to those people? they dont tip / He is just that kind of guy. But his service he told me has been rewarded ...one time he waited on these people all week no tip the day they left they called him over and gave him a suit case of stuff for his great service all week.....then his coworker were jelious!! Its like that in Canada I give the same service to everyone some times people who are obviously well off tip very low a student will come in and tip very well...you never know.

I love the Cuban people :-) Have a great trip PP is the best!

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bit of advice needed please....

At the end of the day only tip what you can afford, and to poeple who deserve it, we have been to PP 3 times, and sometimes you will find staff that dont give the best service, and other times staff who do.

The whole point of a AI Resort is that you dont have to carry cash on you!...If one day you dont tip, if you dont have any money on you, hey you can catch them next time.

When you are at PP you will meet some great staff, who you will see many times over your holiday, sometimes its easy to tip at the end of your trip to the people who you felt have made a difference to your trip, we have done this, and then you can see what money you have left, at the end of the day the Question was "will tipping eat into my Holiday Fund", and the simple answer is Yes it can!!!...But only what you can afford!!!....

But its the things that the Cuban people who cant get are the things that mean the most....we allways leave items of clothes behind staff, stuff like caps, flip-flops, t-shirts, this stuff is very welcome, and dont forget the staff who are working in the gardens, we always take extra caps, and give them to these guys, and if you dont drink the beers and cola out of your fridge, give it to these guys, they work so hard in that heat!

Enjoy PP!

Cat