We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swine flu

Durham, UK
Level Contributor
42 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Swine flu

Sorry to be the one to post about this but we are so worried that our forthcoming holiday to PP might be affected by the current outbreak of swine flu in Mexico (and now Canada and the US).

Does anyone know if there have been any confirmed cases in Cuba? We're really worried that if the worst happened when we were over there, we would have no access to Tamiflu or anything to help the situation. The mortality rate seems to be higher in Mexico so far than in the US because they don't have access to antivirals and so on...

I am such a worry-merchant anyway but this has made me stressed and anxious at a time when I would usually be excited and counting down to the 'big day' when we jet off to the sun.

Someone reassure me please!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Swine flu

No cases in Cuba at all, confirmed or otherwise. Here's a map with all cases worldwide: maps.google.com/maps/ms… It is very frequently updated.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,606 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swine flu

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147270-i91-k27426…

Cheers,

Terry

Grimsby, Canada
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swine flu

There are cases in Canada though so maybe we will be bringing it to Cuba.

Personally, because I have a compromised immune system, I won't be traveling anywhere right now and will be keeping my fingers crossed. Who knows where you could pick it up....

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Swine flu

Actually, R., it is a disease that, surprisingly, targets healthy young people with a very strong immune system. Which is not to say that other people can't catch it, but that they get a light version of it. The leading theory is that what makes the disease lethal is essentially an extreme reaction by the body's immune system, which ends up flooding the lungs. I will look for the link once I get home and PM it to you.

Interestingly, targeting healthy young individuals with strong immune systems is a common characteristic of pandemics, and exactly the thing that has doctors seriously worried about this flu.

Sk. Canada
Level Contributor
230 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swine flu

If you're THAT worried, go get a flu shot before you go. Contagious things have been known to pass back and forth in airports, on airplanes, etc. If you're sure you'll get something, cover your bases. In Canada we routinely immunize against the flu in the fall here so we have millions who have already had a shot.

Grimsby, Canada
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swine flu

I actually wasn't planning on going now anyways :)

But healthy immune systems or not, I would not take the chance...

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
496 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swine flu

Vovi, the immunization shot you received provides NO portection against H1N1 virus, aka, swine

Canada
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Swine flu

Artie! is correct. I read today tat the current vaccinations that were dispensed in Canada in the Fall provide no protection for this strain. apparently the CDC is already working on an immunization but it takes 4-5 months for it to begin to reach the public. even then it will be for high-risk individuals in high-risk areas that will get it first.

dublin
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Swine flu

Hi im traveling to cuba in july and was checking myself about the swine flu, the havana times said that no cases are in cuba yet and that they are restricting flights to mexico and but no restriction on tourist so far. World health Org, WHO, may have information.

10. Re: Swine flu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 April 2009, 19:58