We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how much do you tip?

london
Level Contributor
43 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
how much do you tip?

reading reviews from travelers visited PP ,lot of them complain about excessive tipping.We been 4 times in a Varadero before and tips was never issue.One time in Palma Real chief even refused take any tips saying "we are friends":)))Usualy we spend average 10CUC a day as a tips (room maid, beach personal,waitreses in restorants and lobby bar.Is it any difference in PP? as we going there in a end of June first time.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
99,765 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how much do you tip?

That amount sounds reasonable enough to me. I have been to the PP on 4 occasions and found the service to be excellent whether or not you tipped.

Check out this link written by CubaJack, which many people praised when he wrote it:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g147270-c114818/Cub…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
555 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how much do you tip?

You are so right Bellagio, CubaJack nailed it. I have seen so

many people waving their money at the bartenders on a busy

night expecting better service, when a little patience and

respect would have gotten them the same service. I can't begin to count the reviews that have stated, "Bad service unless you tip!"

We never felt compelled or pressured to tip while on the resort. It is optional and regardless of whether we tipped, service was consistently excellent. We have found treating the staff with respect goes a long way. Learning a few words in Spanish is also appreciated. We would only tip when we perceived we had received good service.

No matter where we have travelled, we have always found that

you get what you give. If you project a bad attitude it will be

returned to you.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
93 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how much do you tip?

Yes Ivar, the amount you want to give looks like a good tip.

I visited few resorts in Cuba and service is always excellent. Also tipping is a way to show our appreciation for a good service. At cuba like at home :-).

Some locals (not at the hotel) (by example at airport or into the airbus requested tips to put a luggage into the airplane or into the bus) requested tipping. I believe this is not really a tip who requested but they ask for our charity.

Cuban people are really customer sensitive!

Have a nice vacation

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
144 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how much do you tip?

Ivar

Got home from the PP yesterday morning after 2 week stay. Tipped a CUC on average about every 3 rounds at Lobby Bar or Garden Bar, but was conscious of keeping coin grasped firmly in palm whilst waiting to get served.

If the barman a) noted your position in the queue, or b) remembered your round (usually both happened), then the coin was given over, hand to hand, as he put the last drink down. This was usually met with a 'Thank You, Sir/Amigo' and eye contact; ie. an acknowledgement of a tip for good service, not an inducement to jump the queue.

Did not and would not resort to waving a note high in the air to get served first, as I have seen done by other nationalities in Mexico. This I feel would not be socially accepted at the PP.

On the whole I found the bar staff to be very good and I think the whole atmosphere of the hotel contributes to the generally polite and laid-back approach of staff and residents.

Have a good one.

Ireland
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: how much do you tip?

The link above given by Bellagio for the "Cuba tipping for service" which was wrote by Cubajack is excellent and well worth a read for anybody going to Cuba. . .thanks Bellagio & Cubajack. .

southern alberta
Level Contributor
337 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how much do you tip?

Hi with regards to the Ops comment about waving bills around to get service, we have never experienced that. As a matter of fact quite the opposite... We have had some of the staff refuse our tips, telling us there is no need to tip for service above and beyond their normal duties. they have told us, " I did it because I wanted to!"

One of the reasons we have become good friends with some of the Playa Pesquero Staff.

Happyface

Newton Abbot, Devon
Level Contributor
275 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how much do you tip?

When tipping dont forget the hard working gardeners and security staff who normally get forgotten, the bar staff in my opinion get tipped to much anyway compared to most and this can cause some problems between staff members.Dont forget those that do not give you direct service there are always plenty of hard working staff in the background who deserve your tips and appreciation.Peter

london
Level Contributor
43 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how much do you tip?

Tipp gardeners? what about kitchen staff,security in airport,toilet "guards",food supplyers and another few millions hard working people living in a Cuba? i have only two weeks off from all the problems in a world.All this "playing poverty" a lot of "b..cks".Nearly all staff I asked in Varadero bought a houses near by within short time working in a hotels.I have to pay my morgidge another 20 years..

Dont mind to tipp ,as always do but we should not go mad about it.

PS thanks for helpful links

9. Re: how much do you tip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2009, 07:18