We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holguin Beaches

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
133 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Holguin Beaches

Looking to book a trip in March for family with young children. Looking for a really nice beach with calm waters. I like fine sand and no sea grass in the water. We were looking at Brisas Guardalavca but the pictures show a lot of sea grass and only a small area cleared??

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Any comments on best hotel in Holguin for families? Kids are aged 9, 7 and 3.

Thanks

West Sussex
Level Contributor
688 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holguin Beaches

One of the best beaches in the area is Playa Esmerelda which serves the 3 Sol hotels, the paradisus (adults only) and the Lunes Y Mares. I'd say a close second was the main public beach in Guardalavaca which is only a short walk from the Brisas.

Grimsby ON
Level Contributor
322 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Holguin Beaches

You might want to look at the beaches of Cayo Coco, soft white sand, calm shallow waters and no weeds. Those are all on your wish list.

Toronto
Level Contributor
824 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holguin Beaches

Another bonus to Cayo Coco is the proximity to the airport - under 20 minutes. With small kids, the hour drive to the Holguin resorts might be a bit long for them, especially if you've had a long flight with connections.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
133 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Holguin Beaches

We did go to Cayo Guillermo 2 years ago. We did enjoy it, just thought we would try something different this year. But yes the beach and waters were great and this is what we are looking for again. Also looking at Varadero Beach. I know this is a Holguin site but any thoghts on the Vaadero beach as well?

Ottawa
Level Contributor
234 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holguin Beaches

Hi,

We took our kids (at the time 3 and 5) to Playa Pasquero in Holguin and we/they LOVED it! There was a part of the pool that was very shallow for them to play in with LOTS of room. The beach was great as well with great snorkling right out front. The kids loved the water and it was nice and calm during our stay. Although the kids club was not operational when we were there, I found it to be very kids friendly. I have one picky eater and one that will eat anything and the staff was so great in catering to my picky eater. Everytime a staff member walked by they would stop and talk to or play with the kids.

As for seagrass if there was some it was not enough for me to remember!

It is a big resort with lots of walking, but we liked that.

Edited: 14 January 2010, 19:46
Newmarket, ON...
Level Contributor
380 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holguin Beaches

newtravellerHalifax:

Another alternative might be Cayo Largo. We haven't been there but friends of ours have gone twice during March Break and loved it. Apparently, very calm waters with wonderful long beaches. I'll try an locate their most recent TA report and post the link.

Hope this helps

Bob

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
133 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Holguin Beaches

Thanks for the replies. There just seems to be too many options I guiess and I am having trouble narrowing it down

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
6,608 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Holguin Beaches

Are you also looking at a room that will accommodate five people? This could be a problem. Brisas may be able to accommodate you.....

Edited: 14 January 2010, 23:57
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
133 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Holguin Beaches

No, we would like to get 2 rooms but we would like to have them connecting. I think I read somewhere that Brisas does have connecting rooms.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
6,608 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Holguin Beaches

Yes Brisas does have them and I have used them with four teenagers once ....its an excellent setup foresure.

The beach in front of Brisas is not as nice as you would get in the Cayo's but it still should be fun for all.