We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bad week or different expectations - SPT

Bracebridge, Ontario
Level Contributor
690 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Bad week or different expectations - SPT

I had noticed a number of reviews recently for SPT that differed significantly from the previous ones. I am wondering whether it was a bad week or two (being offseason) or whether there is a difference in expectations between the British travellers and the Canadian ones. I am NOT trying to provoke a country versus country thing just curious.

I noticed a comment on some canned fruit at breakfast which to me is the norm for trips to Cuba but is not for others.

Anyone care to offer an opinion (without slighting one country versus another).

Where are you from and what would you expect from a Holguin four star?

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
96,793 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bad week or different expectations - SPT

Can't see anything wrong with tinned fruit for breakfast myself.

White Rock, Canada
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bad week or different expectations - SPT

Now that you've mentioned it LikenDSun, this was the only resort we've ever stayed at in Cuba that had canned fruit. Have to admit I found that a tad odd. All of the other resorts have always offered fresh fruit which is what I expect to see in a tropical country.

Bracebridge, Ontario
Level Contributor
690 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bad week or different expectations - SPT

I seemed to always get a mix of tinned and fresh, the five stars have had more fresh and the three stars more tinned but almost always had both.

I am curious as to your opinions on whether there is a cultural difference, difference in expectations or whether these people just had a bad week to be at the resort (maybe weather?)

What are your expectations from a CUBAN 4*?

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
417 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bad week or different expectations - SPT

I haven't been to Cuba since xmas 2003 with my mother (but I'm going back now in a few wks!) - at the time we stayed at what was then the LTI Costa Verde (a 4* then... changed to Maritim, now Blau), and I don't remember any canned fruit at all. In fact, I remember being blown away by the amount of fresh fruit - even platters of it to greet us on arrival! Granted, my mother has been to Cuba about 5 other times to 4-5*, and maintains that week was the best food she's ever encountered by far.

Reading all the reviews, sometimes I wonder if it's just that people aren't getting the fruit they're used to "at home" (eg. a standard apple?), so they claim "no fruit"?

I think I would expect at least some fresh fruit, but having canned fruit also certainly wouldn't ruin my trip (!).

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bad week or different expectations - SPT

Hi, I have to say ot must have been a bad week, we were there between October 28th and November 4th and had no complaints about the food whatsoever they even had apples imported from Canada, and we found this resort to have more selection at the buffet than other places we've been to. The only downside were the mosquitoes, didn't bother me but some of our friends got eaten alive. But would definitely go back.

White Rock, Canada
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bad week or different expectations - SPT

Kat makes a valid point about people not getting the same fruits in Cuba as what they are used to from home. This issue often extends to all food selections available and is often the cause of many complaints about the food in Cuba.

We are very adventurous when it comes to eating! Ate my first guava in Cuba and loved it. So delicious because it was tree ripened yet most people walked right past the tray of guavas and I heard comments such as "yuck, what's that?"

Ripe fruit is also seasonal, so perhaps the canned fruit is substituted in the off season?

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
96,793 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bad week or different expectations - SPT

Kurtsoma:

I think you are right about it being seasonal. If I remember correctly in December you are unlikely to see tomatoes at most of the resorts, certainly this has been the case in other years.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
417 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bad week or different expectations - SPT

Kurtsoma - Oooh guava is so good! That's what I remember, guava and papaya, with some bananas and oranges thrown in for good measure.

I don't think I'd even notice if they didn't have 1 specific thing (eg. tomato) - even at home I buy things in season, and easily go without when the prices are through the roof. Some people are more creatures of habit though... perhaps Cuba not the best place if you're too stuck in your ways (but then... what's the definition of vacation??).

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
96,793 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bad week or different expectations - SPT

Believe you me I missed my tomatoes. That's my lunch when I'm staying in a casa and usually accompanies my evening meal as well.

Edited: 24 November 2010, 19:45
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bad week or different expectations - SPT

hvn been to cuba twice before the food was the worst we have had all cold veg cold soup i could go on and on we all had upset stomachs my husband has guts of steel had to take 3 imodiums in 1 day so if it was just a bad 2wks it has put us off returning