We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Translation of documents for marriage in Cuba - UPDATE

Sheffield
Level Contributor
448 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Translation of documents for marriage in Cuba - UPDATE

Hi guys

I posted this information back in September regarding getting documents translated for marriage in Cuba and unfortunately I was mis-informed so there is an additional fee to pay (but it's not major)

You have to get your documents legalised by the Foreign Commonwealth Office (FCO) before sending them to the Cuban Consul to be translated. They charge £28.80 per signature/document.

You can find more information on the FCO website.

This has bumped the cost of my translation (deed poll and decree absolute) up to £420.60 instead of £340 so it's not a massive increase, just a bit of a headache!

"I called the Cuban Consulate and spoke to a woman called Vivian, she does the in-house translation.

You pay £15 per page for the translation and then it's £72 for the legalisation of the document. You have to have both the English & Spanish copies legalised. So for example, a one page Decree Absolute would cost £159 (£15 translation & £72 legalisation of each copy).

They also charge a £15 handling fee and you have to provide a self-addressed envelope for return of documents.

So it is WAY cheaper than the Spanish Translation Bereau!! My docs are coming in at about £340, instead of the £700+ I was quoted previously.

Vivian said it takes around 2 weeks to turn the documents around and then they are valid for 6 months - so don't get them done too early!!

The number for the Cuban Consul is 0207 240 2488 and then it's 0 for general reception. If you get the 'mailbox full' message then just try again 5mins later."

Greenock, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Translation of documents for marriage in Cuba - UPDATE

Hi not long to go now before your wedding you must be getting very excited have you mananged to get your documents translated and certified yet thanks for all your help im glad of every penny saved because overall our wedding costs are spiralling out of control lol

Greenock, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Translation of documents for marriage in Cuba - UPDATE

hi could realy do with your help again ive rang the number you have posted and then pressed the 0 key as you said for general reception it keeps telling me ive made an invalid choice so ave gone to various other departments in the consul and they keep fobbing me off with a website which as you stated costs an absolute fortune im sorry for being a pain but could do with your help many thanks

Allison

Edited: 07 January 2011, 13:31
London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Translation of documents for marriage in Cuba - UPDATE

I have had a couple friends marry in Cuba and neither of them had to have their certificate translated! It depends on the person you are dealing with, I have noticed. We will get married in Cuba next month. I don't plan on translating mine.

[url=http://www.ctstranslationservice.com/]Translator Services[/url] | [url=http://www.ctstranslationservice.com/]Document Translation Services[/url]

Edited: 24 January 2011, 09:45
London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Translation of documents for marriage in Cuba - UPDATE

I have had couple friends marry in Cuba and neither of them had to have their certificate translated. It depends on the person you are dealing with,We get married in Cuba next month. I don't plan on translating mine.

http://www.ctstranslationservice.com/

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
19,359 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Translation of documents for marriage in Cuba - UPDATE

I was asked about this subject late last night. If there are no minor children and the divorce was over 19 years ago, is it just the actual last page of the absolute you need translating?

I am under the impression that you don't need all the he said she said bits of the divorce.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
448 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Translation of documents for marriage in Cuba - UPDATE

Hi guys

Sorry, only just seen the latest comments!!

wiggysbabe - I have an email from the Cuban Consulate with the latest prices and procedures for translation. If you send me a message I will happily email you the document.

Just to clarify

You DO NOT need to have your birth certificates translated or legalised, but you do need to take the full copies (not the short versions)

You DO need to have your Decree Absolute (the one pager section) translated and legalised if you have been divorced.

Technically you could decide not to declare that you have been married before and not bother with the translation costs, but I'm guessing that if you got found out, your marriage would be invalid.

You DO need to have your Deed Poll translated and legalised if you have changed your name by this method.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
350 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Translation of documents for marriage in Cuba - UPDATE

I know a lot of people from Canada that have gotten married "down south" in various countries. And what many do is get legally married at home by a justice of the peace, judge, etc with only the absolute minimum number of witnesses there (like one of my daughters did) and then no special dinner, party or anything afterwards. In other words it was just a legal formality with no hoopla attached. And in many cases most of the people who go south with them for their wedding do not even know. Then the "ceremony" down south becomes their "wedding" and their anniversary date, etc. Then nothing needs to be translated and no blood tests (apparently still needed in some countries), etc.

Just thought I'd throw that out there for information.

Edited: 24 January 2011, 16:15
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,107 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Translation of documents for marriage in Cuba - UPDATE

I think it's Mexico that require blood test, which I agree, must be a pain...

But for 2 single foreigners, getting married in Cuba is really simple. All you need is your passport and your birth certificate. And the wedding is automaticly valid and recognised in Canada. So getting married here before would only unacessary costs and time.

But I completly agree with you that for some other countries, it might make more sense to get legally married here before and just have a symbolic ceremony there.

Gosport, United...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Translation of documents for marriage in Cuba - UPDATE

Your info is really useful but can you just confirm in what order the legalisation of the decree absolute needs to take place. The embassy say send it to Commonwealth Office and then take to them for translation and they will legalise it and that's all that's needed. But when you read the brochures etc it reads as if you have to get translated then sent to Commonwealth Office.

Also you mentioned that the birth certificate needs to be the longer copy, my partner only has the small version and thinks that is all he has ever had.

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated - thanks

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
19,359 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Translation of documents for marriage in Cuba - UPDATE

If a small birth certificate is issued, and they were as they are cheaper, get him to apply for a legal copy of his birth.

He needs to contact the registrars office and apply. This can all be done either over the phone, on line or in person if you still live near.