We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

just returned from Sirenis Playa Turquous

Toronto
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
just returned from Sirenis Playa Turquous

We had an excellent time. Good weather and food, nice hotel. . Any questions I will be glad to answer

Cambridge, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: just returned from Sirenis Playa Turquous

Hi, I just booked this resort yesterday for our first trip to Cuba for myself, hubby and two kids 21& 20, for the end of March . We have the Cameleon package. Do you know what area our rooms might be? Do they have adjoining rooms? Do we need to take a power converter? Can you exchange your CND money right at the resort? How were the bugs?? Sorry for all the questions, you can tell it is our first time to Cuba!

Cambridge, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: just returned from Sirenis Playa Turquous

Hi, I just booked this resort yesterday for our first trip to Cuba for myself, hubby and two kids 21& 20, for the end of March . We have the Cameleon package. Do you know what area our rooms might be? Do they have adjoining rooms? Do we need to take a power converter? Can you exchange your CND money right at the resort? How were the bugs?? Sorry for all the questions, you can tell it is our first time to Cuba!

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
99,765 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: just returned from Sirenis Playa Turquous

There is a Cadeca (money exchange bureau) at the resort so that's where you can change your Canadian dollars into Cuban Convertible Pesos (CUC's).

As regards Electricity this link may help you:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g147270-c104286/Cub…

Best to take a DEET based mosquito repellent with you, something like Deep Woods Off.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
99,765 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: just returned from Sirenis Playa Turquous

Here is a plan of the resort which my help:

www.nutec-electronics.co.uk/SPT-Map2.gif

You could always request your rooms by emailing the resort at:

jef_rrpp@sirenisplayaturquesa.co.cu

esp_rrpp2@sirenisplayaturquesa.co.cu

Toronto
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: just returned from Sirenis Playa Turquous

Hi: You will love it there . The cameron rooms seem to be all over the resort and a large majority of the people are with nolitours. We were in 665. At first I was very disappointed as it is quite far from everything and wanted to make a change of rooms. But by the next day decided to stay in room as it was nice and quiet for sleeping, and enjoyed the walking. . The room did have a door adjoining to the next room. I don't know if they are all like that. The room was very clean and large. There was an extra single bed in the room. The bathrooms are very spacious.

You will need to bring an adaptar if you want to use a curling iron. There is a dryer, coffee maker and refridge in the room. They also supply shampoo and body wash.

We ate in 3 restaurants - Italian cuban and grill. They were all excellent.

The pools there are fantastic. They are built on several levels and there are a lot of stairs. There are carts that will take you all around the resort if the walking or climbing is a problem.

The evening shows are pretty good. The aqua show is wonderful - don't miss that one.

You will have a super time. The majority of people are young couples with children and people in their 50's and 60's the week we were there. There were some single in their 20's but not a lot. That could well change the week you are going.

I got a few little bites, but they must have been from sand fleas as I did not see a mosquito.

You will have a super time. If I can answer any more questions just ask.

Cambridge, Canada
Level Contributor
1,869 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: just returned from Sirenis Playa Turquous

The Cadeca is located just to the left of reception and is open from 9am - 8pm.

Bugs were really bad when we were there in November also. Got quite a few bites

Cambridge, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: just returned from Sirenis Playa Turquous

Thanks everyone for your responses. I have found so much useful information on this forum.

bellagio-thanks for the map and e-mail information. I might try e-mailing them for a room location. I am thinking closer to the beach and pool area. And I think a room on the second floor might be preferable as well.

tennislyn- your info about the resort and what is in the room is really helpful. You mentioned shampoo & body wash in the room is there conditioner as well? Also is the safe a combination or magnetic swipe to activate? We plan on checking out the aqua show. Hope there will be some younger folks there for our young adults!

shadow1-thanks for the hours for the Cadeca. I think we will just change our money there instead of the airport.

Any other helpful tips are appreciated. Now I just have to wait until the end of March!

Edited: 08 February 2011, 00:54
Cambridge, Canada
Level Contributor
1,869 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: just returned from Sirenis Playa Turquous

We had room# 408 and we felt was in a centrally located spot. It's on the second floor. Just a short walk to the pool and only a couple of minutes to the beach. I think Nolitours has the 400 - 500 block of rooms so your room will probably be in this area.

In regards to the Cadeca just be mindful to go as early as you can. Sometimes they do run out of money and will close early. Just don't leave getting your departure tax till the last minute...lol. The exchange rate when we were there was we got 120CUC's for 140CAD, the second time we got 122CUC for the same amount of CAD. I'm sure the exchange hasn't changed all that much.

I will agree that the water ballet was decent. Do check it out if you can. I think it was on Tuesday night. They'll have a small bar set up by the pool and plenty of chairs. It's about 45 mins long.

The safe is a combo type and located in the closet, just pick a 4 digit # and you are good to go.

If there is anything else you want to know about the resort itself or the Camelon Club inclusions I'd be more than happy to help.

You picked a good resort and I think you will really enjoy yourselves there. We had a great time.

Toronto
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: just returned from Sirenis Playa Turquous

Just returned for SPT.

Stayed in 5XX block (room 53X to be specific), which is, in my observation, the most ideal place -- separated from the main pool by a block of 2 houses, straight across the Cuban restaurant, kid's club and literally 2 minutes away from the beach. No noise disturbance whatsoever. I requested and got the second floor. I would not want to stay in any of the houses around the pool or across the beach (mosquitoes will eat you alive!). Next time we will specifically request the SAME block.

Voltage is 220 (European and Norther American plugs) in the room and 110 in the bathroom.

A-la carte restaurants: Italian is utterly PATHETIC. Cuban is simply AMAZING. Mediterranean was great. I skipped the Grill and Oriental, since you can have "grill" at any of the other 2 restaurants, buffet AND the "BBQ dinner" provided by Nolitours, where you can have a spit-roasted pork (well, if you battle the lines of hungry folks trying to get their piece).

Oriental, well, why would you visit it in Cuba? Unless there's no Chinatown in your city, there is NO reason to eat at that restaurant.

We booked Cuban twice but couldn't attend the second time, which we regretted. Being food connoisseurs (read: gourmands), that joint offered a great dining experience. We tried almost everything. On a related note, the thin crust pizza (cuatro gusto, in particular) at the Cuban restaurant between at lunch time was superb!

I took a moped to other resorts (Playa Pesquero, Playa Costa Verde, Sol Rio de Luna y Mares) and can say that SPT and PP are only two "worthy" resorts to stay at around Holguin. I didn't have time to visit Paradisus Rio De Orio (5* resort) but can only say that it shares the same beach (Esmeralda) with Luna y Mares, but occupies the less attractive part of the beach.

All in all, you WILL enjoy your stay at STP. We will return without any hesitation! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Toronto
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: just returned from Sirenis Playa Turquous

Just shows everyone is different. I loved the Italian restaurant at Sirenis and I spent a month in Italy last summer, so I have eaten a lot of good Italian food. I had the antipasta, lasagna, and the stuffed chichen breast.