We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming at SPT?

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Swimming at SPT?

Hello! We are booked to go to this resort and I have been reading many posts. This will be our first time at this resort. We enjoy going to the beach and swimming. Can anyone tell me about the actual swimming there? Do you walk out a ways and then can swim? I sometimes get a little weirded out when I can't see the bottom , is that a problem? Also do you have to swim out a long ways to be able snorkle and see anything?

Thanks so much!!

hfx
Level Contributor
5,198 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming at SPT?

The beach is beautiful. Not too shallow, and not deep. Not a lot to see if snorkeling.

Montreal
Level Contributor
4,488 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming at SPT?

We're headed there in two and half weeks and that's great news for me!

Not alot to see when snorkeling is not bad news as far as Im concerned! Is it weird to love the ocean, but hate the fish? :)

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming at SPT?

Thanks for the replies! I read there is a reef you can snorkel and see stuff near?

hfx
Level Contributor
5,198 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming at SPT?

you would probably need them to take you out on a Hobie cat, it would be a ways out, but it would be fun

Bancroft, Canada
Level Contributor
519 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming at SPT?

The reef is a long way's out. We took peddle boats out and one of the Hobie cat drivers, came out and told us not to swim in that area because of sharks. That was in 2004.....the sharks may not be there now.?????

The only shark we saw...was a nurse shark. But we didn't get to stay long.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
350 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming at SPT?

We go to the Turquesa every year. My family spends about 2 hours every day snorkelling...they see lots of interested fish etc....

14 days until we are there again !!

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swimming at SPT?

Thanks, I guess I won't go out with the sharks! lol

magncasey, where do you snorkel?

Barrie, ON
Level Contributor
80 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Swimming at SPT?

We were there in February. Snorkeling was really good, as Hfx: said not too deep not too shallow. On windier days it was a little murkey close to shore but you didn't have to go very far to reach clear waterand because of the reef, it was never really rough water. We saw lots of smaller fish, sea urchins, lots and lots of sand dollars, a Lionfish and an octopus a little bigger than the size of a softball! All this was seen within half the distance to the reef.

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Swimming at SPT?

Thanks everyone for the great advice!!

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
350 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply