We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Temperature screening at Holguin airport?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
421 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Temperature screening at Holguin airport?

Hi I leave early in the morning so please understand I'm going through the panic stage. I have either a little cold or allergies acting up put on antibiotics 2 days ago because of pain in the sinuses temp never went over 37.3 but someone told me they were very careful in Cuba about body temp. I really don't want to stay in quarantine for a week while hubby hangs out at the beach. Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Temperature screening at Holguin airport?

I didn't see any of this going on, not that it didn't happen . If you are nervous why not take an advil an hour or so before landing. That will possibly reduce any fever you may gave. Have a great trip.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
421 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Temperature screening at Holguin airport?

Thanks cuba1968 I will take something just in case.

Swansea
Level Contributor
182 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Temperature screening at Holguin airport?

You actually reminded me that this happened in 2009 when I was entering my dad got pulled in to the 'higher temp line' but he was fine. Hopefully you'll get through with no problems

East London
Level Contributor
190 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Temperature screening at Holguin airport?

I think that it was an issue a couple of years ago when swine flu had broken out in a number of countries. Cuba is paranoid about swine flu because they had an outbreak in the 1960s, that was attributed to CIA-organised biological warfare, which wiped out the island's swine stock.

At the time (2009), all of the staff at the airports wore surgical masks and anybody displaying flu-like symptoms was pulled aside. I believe that some people ended up in enforced quarantine for a number of days.

It won't be a problem for you.

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
104,333 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Temperature screening at Holguin airport?

I checked very carefully when i arrived at Holguin Airport on April 24th and I can assure you they were still temperature screening, even at 1.30am in the morning.

If you didn't know what to look for you may not notice it, but trust me they are still screening for temperatures.

Mentioned in this post
Yarmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
2,912 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Temperature screening at Holguin airport?

I didnt see any when I arrived. I was looking, but maybe not in the right places? We didnt see anyone being screened. That was on my "to do" list.

S

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
104,333 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Temperature screening at Holguin airport?

When you enter the Arrivals Hall from the tarmac they channel you way over to the right before entering the area where you walk to the Immigration booths.

The apparatus is set up about twenty yards in (to the left) after you are channelled over to the right. You do not pass directly by it. It's been there on every visit since the swine flu epidemic.

MONTREAL QUEBEC...
Level Contributor
596 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Temperature screening at Holguin airport?

really i wouldnt worry about it... take your advil.......just dont start coughing and choking before you get through immigration. you will be fine

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
421 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Temperature screening at Holguin airport?

Thanks everyone. Not sure if I feel any better. I know I don't have a fever but do have slight cold symptoms. Just checked foreign affairs web site Section 7 has been updated (information on the H1N1 flu virus has been removed). Hoping this info is accurate!

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
104,333 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Temperature screening at Holguin airport?

Personally I wouldn't worry about it at all.