We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomas Cook

uk manchester
Level Contributor
327 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Thomas Cook

Just wanted to inform people who are flying with Thomas Cook. My Sister in Law and her Husband flew out this morning with Thomas Cook, thery are flying to Cuba Guardalavacia.

Her Husband made a mistake on his Visa, he put his last name instead of his first name on the Visa.

We told him to put a line through it and correct the mistake, anyway when they got to the Airport this morning they asked at the Thomas Cook Desk. They said he could not use it and charged him £20 for another one.

I think this is an absolute cheek to ask all that for a form surely they dont cost that much.

So if your off to Cuba and your filling out your forms i suggest you do it in pencil if its ok go over it with pen.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
32,819 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thomas Cook

Check out bellagio's link where he gives prices for these when they aren't included in the package price. I don't think Thomas Cook were overcharging.

uk manchester
Level Contributor
327 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thomas Cook

Well sorry but £20 is still £20 and we can all make mistakes . Would like to know what they do with the money . Surely it does not cost all that much it is only a piece of paper and not an official until stamped when you arrive in Cuba.

Parkhill
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Thomas Cook

When flying from Toronto, we are usually given our visas on the plane, and we are always made aware that , if you make a mistake, it will cost $20 to replace it. Not quite L20 but close.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
32,819 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thomas Cook

Sorry I forgot to post the link

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g147270-c104245/Cub…

Check out the cost of getting one from the Cuban Consulate.

The airline/tour op etc who issue it have to stamp it or else it is invalid, and you have to buy another on entry into Cuba.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,272 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Thomas Cook

The airline/tour operator must purchase the tourist cards – they don’t get them for free. Want or want not, there are administrative & cost recovery expenses related to tourist cards.

Is there a charge for a tourist visa for a Cuban to visit the UK?

England
Level Contributor
486 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Thomas Cook

They will not be taken either if you pen runs out halfway through they must be in the same ink.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Holguin, Guardalavaca
Level Contributor
14,378 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thomas Cook

Im sure both TC and FC tell you not to make mistakes when completing the visas in BLACK INK. Infact; the visas are usually accompanied with a demonstrational paper showing you how to fill out the Visa correctly, it also states within that paper that mistakes can not be rectified and that spoiled or incorrect visas will have to be replaced at a cost of £20 to the traveller.... Maybe your SIL didnt read the full paper before completeing their visas. The visa is an official document and not just any old piece of paper; The visa is required to have been stamped by the carrier Airline before being issued to the tourist; that is why you are charged if you need to replace it.

uk manchester
Level Contributor
327 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thomas Cook

Thanks for all your comments completing the form in pencil first seems to be the best option !

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
466 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thomas Cook

Though a royal pain in the butt I'd rather pay the £20 in the UK than go through the process with the Cuban immigration staff if THEY pick up on the mistake!! Cost you a lot more than £20.

Dudley, United...
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thomas Cook

my husband always fills ours in pencil first he made a mistake the first time we went we didnt know you could get them at the airport and we went to the embassy in london to fetch one