We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holguin or Varadero?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
228 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Holguin or Varadero?

We are a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids 10 years and 7 years) planning our first trip to Cuba in June/July. We are seasoned travellers and have been to a number of all-inclusives in Jamaica and Mexico. We are undecided if we should go to Holguin or Varadero? We are not night people and are looking for a nice relaxing 2 weeks with the kids. If we decide on Holguin, have heard that Playa Pesquero is probably the nicest place. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

winnipeg
Level Contributor
149 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Holguin or Varadero?

Holguin is extremely quiet in the evenings, very family oriented. We were at the Playa Turquesa with our 4 kids and loved it. The rooms easily accomodate 4, when you request and extra day bed. There is a huge kids club, but our kids were too busy (and happy) to use it.

I have not been to the Pesquero, but hear it is just as nice, if not nicer.

Toronto
Level Contributor
281 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Holguin or Varadero?

i've been twice with my mom and now going back with my bf to PRDO on saturday

prdo is great for couples with few children but it is quiet, this is what we look for in a vacation though so it's great for us

great food, top shelf booze, great service, great pool/beach, great staff, only thing is no nightlife to speak of!

Canada
Level Contributor
113 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holguin or Varadero?

I've heard from several friends that Paradisus de Oro is the place to go to, but I have never been able to afford it. It's the only place I have not heard of anyone complain about food.

3 years ago we went to Playa Pesquero with our 3 and 4 year old daughters when it had first opened and had a wonderful time.We are now looking to go somewhere in April and given the recent favourable reviews on Pesquero, which are consistent with our impression, if not improved, despite the few more negative experiences people have had, we are now seriously thinking of going back. Value for money, the huge pool, beautiful beach and the mini disco in the evening for the children made this resort our most memorable vacation yet.

Calgary
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Holguin or Varadero?

Not sure why you would take your family there in June July though. It't the few months with the most rainfall. Check your weather.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holguin or Varadero?

Thank you for you feedback. I think we have decided on Playa Pesquero. It sounds like a very nice place. I've been doing a lot of research on Cuba and I don't think Varadero sounds very appealing to us.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holguin or Varadero?

Have you looked into Tryp Peninsula in Varadero? Compared to somewhere like Mexico or Jamaica Varadero too can be quite relaxing - especially if you are further down the peninusula away from town - where the Tryp is. This resort has a great kids area with a separate family pool with water slides, etc and a play ground area. Night life was also very low key here. If you wanted to really party you would have had to go off the resort. My teenagers actually found it boring.

When we went to Varadero, 2 families with 5 kids in total and atmosphere was just right for the younger kids. Again, nothing like Cancun or other areas of Mexico.

Having said that, we are trying Holguin this year. Probably can't go wrong with either.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holguin or Varadero?

Thanks for the info. Our T/A also recommended the Tryp Peninsula Varadero to us. It sounds like a very family oriented resort. However, it looks like we are leaning towards Holguin also. Now just have to decide which resort in Holguin. First choice is Paradisus Rio de Oro, 2nd choice, Blau Costa Verde and 3rd choice Playa Pesquera. Just not sure if there will be enough activities to keep the kids busy at Paradisus. Decisions, decisions!!

Georgia
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Holguin or Varadero?

Holguin is a best choice. I went to Varadero two months ago and it was not very good. I've been in Holguin and i love it.

Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
11 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Holguin or Varadero?

I think you will find Blau your best bet, we were just there in Feb and families seemed to have very happy kids...Pesquero is very large and lots of walking...Blau is compact with lots to do and the beach is the best on Playa Pesquero, also I keep hearing food is best at Blau...PDRO I am sure is very nice, I only saw it from the beach while scuba diving, but seems a lot more $$$ and I think the kids will like the protected beach and ocean better at the Blau where they have great snorkelling 50 m out and calm water with lots of kayaks, paddle boats, Lasers etc...just read reviews of all 3 resorts on TA and they will help you with your decision...Enjoy

Montreal (Québec)
Level Contributor
863 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Holguin or Varadero?

Could you please compare Varadero and Holguin? I know that the nightlife is better in Varadero but if you don't go out at night, there still must be more things to do in Varadero than Holguin. I have only been to Varadero. How different is Holguin for people who saw both???