We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sirenis Playa Turquese v Costa Verde v Sol Rio Del Luna Mare

Newcastle
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Sirenis Playa Turquese v Costa Verde v Sol Rio Del Luna Mare

Hello all

Hope you can help out with a decision to make. We are 5 ladies going to Cuba for the first time in May. What is key is nice wine, on a good beach and (this is the killer) no one sleeping on the camp bed in the room with 3 people in it.

The above are the 3 hotels which we can afford& look good.

Sirenis Playa Turquesse - Heard rumours it is changing hands this spring, which makes us nervous, plus the rooms look small for three adult beds - can you get triple rooms in this hotel?

Costa Verde - Can get a single room connecting room in budget, but the walk to the beach with no toilets is putting us off - is it really far? plus any noise from the building upgrades at the Blau next door.

Sol Rio - Again can you get triple beds in a room, and heard the wine had gone downhill, which would be a disaster especially for a hotel at the top end of our price range.

Which one should we go for to keep 5 ladies happy?

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
96,793 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sirenis Playa Turquese v Costa Verde v Sol Rio Del Luna Mare

As regards the Costa Verde, you'll hear very little, if any, noise from the work being carried out at the Blau. It's no inconvenience really walking to the toilets, it does you good to stretch your legs.

As far as the wine goes I would have thought that it's pretty much the same at any of the three hotels.

You say that the Sol Rio de Luna y Mares is at the top end of your price range. It's NEVER worth more than the Playa Costa Verde.

Book the PCV you will not regret it.

Bancroft, Canada
Level Contributor
519 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sirenis Playa Turquese v Costa Verde v Sol Rio Del Luna Mare

I have stayed at Playa Turquese and SLM and Blau Costa Verdi. Not PCV. Turquese is a very beautiful resort but I wasn't that crazy about the beach as I like to snorkel. The Blau would be my choice but it is closing for ren.. My next choice would be SLM beautiful beach...good food and service. quiet pool and noisy pool. Good restaurant and washrooms right on the beach.. I would find the walk at PCV farther than I would like to go and the best part of the beach for snorkeling and swimming is at the Blau next door.JMHO

Edited: 18 January 2012, 22:26
Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sirenis Playa Turquese v Costa Verde v Sol Rio Del Luna Mare

The Turquesa room I found very spacious, my hubby ,myself and 2 teenagers in the room with no problem. The bathrooms are set up with doors on the toilet room and a separtate door on the shower all in 1 large room. I think all the wine in Cuba is about the same, not the greatest but I think all the resorts pretty much the same. It did change to a Sirenis hotel and just had a change in management in November/December , but I haven't heard about it changing hands again.(my 4th visit is in April)

The Coste verde we were at 5 years ago, I didn't have any huge complaints, I personally didn't care for the beach location although the snorkeling was very good, the walk and lack of washrooms turned me off. Would I return ..sure , but we have met many great people at the Turquesa and the staff are wonderful. I can't comment on Sol Rio as I have not been, but I think if you book either of the above you won't regret it !

Dudley, United...
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sirenis Playa Turquese v Costa Verde v Sol Rio Del Luna Mare

ive been to the sol de luna and the pcv but the pcv wins hands down forme iue been 4 times the beach is better at sol de luna but if you are on the mares side alot of steps to get down where the pcv its a bridge you walk over the same if you want to use the toilet at the cuban there is a beach bar so you can have a drink

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sirenis Playa Turquese v Costa Verde v Sol Rio Del Luna Mare

Hi,

I stayed at the Luna y Mares last April, 3 in a room. Two of us shared a double bed, and one slept on a single bed. Firm mattresses, but we all slept like the dead from all the sun, rum, beer, and snorkelling! We paid for a snorkel excursion, which took us to the reef off our beach! We are going back this April, because of the beach and snorkelling. Paradise! The wine was okay, I found the white gave me heartburn, and the red was adequate. The "champagne" was actually pretty good, not as dry as Mexico's cava, although it's hit or miss as to whether they serve it in a flute glass, or plastic juice cup!

That being said, my husband and I were looking for a trip for this February, and I was insistent on going to the Luna y Mares AGAIN, but we got a super deal for SPT, so we booked that.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,898 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sirenis Playa Turquese v Costa Verde v Sol Rio Del Luna Mare

Playa Costa Verde would get my vote...

Moncton NB
Level Contributor
749 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Sirenis Playa Turquese v Costa Verde v Sol Rio Del Luna Mare

i stayed at sol luna mared 4 yrs ago and out of 3 trips to cuba.. this being my second.. it was my fave!! hoping my 4th trip (first vac in 3 yrs) will be even better!!

ottawa
Level Contributor
310 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sirenis Playa Turquese v Costa Verde v Sol Rio Del Luna Mare

looking at sirenas or coste verde for school break for a family holiday with a 10 and 12 year old in march.Does anyone know if these resorts are popular with the spring break party crowd or is it more families

toronto
Level Contributor
741 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sirenis Playa Turquese v Costa Verde v Sol Rio Del Luna Mare

Have only stayed at SRLM of the three listed. My main criteria in booking a "beach" vacation is the beach,an ocean view, cleanliness and adequate food. The beach here is beautiful and the ocean view worth the extra cost. The rooms are dated but I don't notice so much as I am looking at the gorgeous view. The wine was horrible, I doubt you will find it better elsewhere in Cuba. I really only drink wine and found most of the "house" wines not good. They did have fairly decent South American, (Chilian, Argententian), wines available at most a la cartes for about 10-13 CUC, well worth it in my opinion. Some a la cartes had Australian and European wines also. I can't comment on the other hotel choices, I haven't stayed at them, primarily because I have always had a good time at SRLM and I can be guaranteed my view.

Our three teenage boys room together and have always had their own beds in one room. Last trip, a king, a queen and a double. There was not much floor space but they were fine with that.

With regard to "spring break party" question, I don't think you will find that anywhere in Holguin.

Edited: 23 January 2012, 01:59
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
466 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sirenis Playa Turquese v Costa Verde v Sol Rio Del Luna Mare

We were at the SRLM last March & we enjoyed it thoroughly!! Maybe it's just me but I found the wine pretty good......the red anyway. We didn't pay for any wine - just had the house stuff. The beach there is excellent with loads of room & quite a bit of natural shade under the trees.

We're off to PP this time for a change of scenery but could certainly recommend the SRLM & would go again.