We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

insulated mugs bubba kegs or whatever u like to call them :)

lytham st annes...
Level Contributor
122 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
insulated mugs bubba kegs or whatever u like to call them :)

We are going to Playa pesquero a week on wednesday (05/09) for 2 weeks and after reading lots of reviews everyone seems to take insulated mugs for drinks.

We have been to the caribbean plenty of times and have never took these. we always see people mainly americans with there "BUBBAS" and kind of feel silly taking these.

My question is are they the norm at PP and if so (random question alert!!!) how do you clean them between drinks :-)

Just trying to weigh up the idea of buying them as my mrs only wants an expensive one and i aint spending £25 on a mug if they are not needed

Thank you in advance for your time

Nottingham, England
Level Contributor
218 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: insulated mugs bubba kegs or whatever u like to call them :)

I believe the bar staff will rinse them in between drinks for you.

I am thinking of taking our starbucks ones with us. We have one metal one and one plastic one.

I've got some milton sterilising tablets to use to clean them overnight.

If you get one of the travel type mugs they are a lot less than £25!

North Shields...
Level Contributor
308 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: insulated mugs bubba kegs or whatever u like to call them :)

they will be used at the pesquero - regulalarly

dont buy the massive ones as they are just too big and unwieldy

Asda do some decent ones for around the £4 and are about pint sized. These are more than enough.

they are great in that your drinks remain cold and refreshing and relaxing on the sun lounger is much more easy for the fewer drinks trips.

Just don't be all loud and possessive of them as some people seem to be. After all it is not worth worrying about and being noisy about what is just a drinks holder.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
667 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: insulated mugs bubba kegs or whatever u like to call them :)

They are actually quite popular (more so with Canadians than Brits?) and there is an environmental plus side to taking them (less plastic cups in the landfill)

The only issue I see on here is people who take the huge ones which apparently can hold up lines at the bar while they're being refilled... not my personal experience but it has been mentioned by others, and some others percieve the size of the 'bubba' equates to greed.

However saying that, when we return to Brisas Guardalavaca, as they have been awarded a 'green planet' award, we may just take some of our own next time.

As for cleaning, I would hazzard a guess and say the barstaff may rinse them for you if you ask nicely :-)

Have FUN whatever you decide!!

Nottingham, England
Level Contributor
218 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: insulated mugs bubba kegs or whatever u like to call them :)

Random question from me this time.

Do the bubba kegs have holes in that you would put a straw in or do you just drink it without?

Think i'd want to use a straw through the hole.......

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
659 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: insulated mugs bubba kegs or whatever u like to call them :)

For the beach and the pool, the travel (insulated) mugs are very convenient. They keep drinks cool, avoid spills and are environmentally friendly. For the record, people tend not to use them at the buffet, restaurants and bars (other than the beach and pool bars). As noted above, the barmen will rinse your mug before doing a refill. The mugs with handles are the best, because they are easier to carry if it is your turn to go for drinks...you can carry four or more with no problem. The alternative is those tiny plastic glasses that hold six ounces (at best), spill easily when you try to carry more than one and clutter the beach and pool when they are discarded.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
659 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: insulated mugs bubba kegs or whatever u like to call them :)

For the beach and the pool, the travel (insulated) mugs are very convenient. They keep drinks cool, avoid spills and are environmentally friendly. For the record, people tend not to use them at the buffet, restaurants and bars (other than the beach and pool bars). As noted above, the barmen will rinse your mug before doing a refill. The mugs with handles are the best, because they are easier to carry if it is your turn to go for drinks...you can carry four or more with no problem. The alternative is those tiny plastic glasses that hold six ounces (at best), spill easily when you try to carry more than one and clutter the beach and pool when they are discarded.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
667 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: insulated mugs bubba kegs or whatever u like to call them :)

You can definitely ask for a straw to use through the drinking hole in the mug.

... and if all else fails you can ask the gardener to cut you a coconut instead of using your mug and use that for the day (good times)..lol..

Edited: 23 August 2012, 13:38
Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,511 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: insulated mugs bubba kegs or whatever u like to call them :)

I think your best bet would just be a standard insulated mug. I got a metal one here in Canada by a company called Wind River and it has been fantastic. The cap screws off or there is also a water bottle style top that you can choose to use. Looks a lot like this …alibaba.com/wsphoto/v0/455082449/Hot-Wholes…

I personally think Bubba's are overkill and although they do a good job of keeping a drink cold, it is not a refrigerator. Can't tell you how many times I saw people pouring out a large quantity from a Bubba. It just tends to be so large that by the time you get halfway through your cold drink, it is warm as can be. I think they offer various sizes. My suggestion would be to try to find a reasonably sized one. Painful to watch someone pour of 20+oz of Pina Colada because it was warm.

Edited: 23 August 2012, 13:40
lytham st annes...
Level Contributor
122 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: insulated mugs bubba kegs or whatever u like to call them :)

wow thanks for all the quick replies will just get 2 cheap ones that we can leave there and not have to watch like its made out of gold lol

thanks once again for all the replies

ottawa
Level Contributor
486 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: insulated mugs bubba kegs or whatever u like to call them :)

The Bubba Mugs are too big. A regular insulated cup that you would use for Tim Horton Coffee is sufficient and what most people use. It is enviromentally friendly and the plastic cups are really tiny and wasteful. You can use a straw in the sipping hole. Always useful for keeping sand out and to use by the pool. Also good to get a coffee in the morning.