We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

White City...
Level Contributor
332 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Would appreciate your thoughts.

Hi my husband and I are in our early 50s and are planning to visit Cuba for the first time for a week in February. We enjoy swimming, a bit of snorkeling, tours, nature and walking. We will sit and read for a bit but want to do things as well. We thought we would go to Varadero or Jiaboca but are not sure. We do not party, do not want a crowded, touristy place but would like beautiful beaches and seeing the real Cuba ( within safety of course). We would stay at a four or five star all inclusive. So what I am asking, given our preferences, does Holquin seem like a better fit for us?

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would appreciate your thoughts.

I would suggest the Jibacoa - see the reviews for details but it certainly seems to fit all your needs and wants. There are nice places in Holguin but the reviews are often quite mixed.

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,717 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would appreciate your thoughts.

Do you like beautiful long beaches for walking miles, or are you happy with a shorter beach that is wider and has ample shade? Snorkelling off the beach is not very good at Varadero. Much better at the Guardalavaca resorts, and of course at Jibacoa.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jibacoa
Level Contributor
3,073 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would appreciate your thoughts.

I would recommend that you take a look at breezes Jibacoa. Small quiet secluded resort in a pretty setting. You are 45 min from Havana. The snorkelling is good and clientele for the most part at the resort are mature and returning guests. Lots of chairs at the beach and you don't have to play the towel game. The pool has lots of chairs but the shaded areas go early.

Ontario
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Would appreciate your thoughts.

We are similar to you and we love Holguin area and keep going back there because of all the things you commented on enjoying. We love PRDO, and specifically the Royal area. The spa at the resort is world class ..... food is good.

Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,519 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Would appreciate your thoughts.

I agree with the Jibacoa suggestion but I was also suggest you look at the Sol Rio De Luna Y Mares. I've been to Varadero twice, Breezes Jibacoa once, Cayo Guillermo once, and just returned in May from the Sol Rio De Luna Y Mares in Holguin. One of the nicest beaches in my travels was at the Sol, located on Playa Esmeralda. Powder white sand with great swimming. If you kept going along to beach there is great snorkeling right in front of the resort next door called the Paradisus Rio De Oro. I found the beach amazing in front of the Sol but the snorkeling was awesome in front of the Paridisus. By staying at the Sol you got the best of both worlds. Only downside is the total beach is about 900 meters long so no ideal if you like long walks. Jibacoa is similar in that sense, but a little longer overall.

Part of the reason I suggest the SRLYM as well is there is a nature walk with really nice views beside the resort. Costs a few bucks each to go but it was a good hour if you took your time and about 30 minutes if you hustled. Breezes Jibacoa also offers a hike to a lookout point up a mountain that is great too. If you're a snorkeling fan I'd be between Jibacoa and the Sol with my edge going to the Sol due to its much nicer beach. Jibacoa is a lot more rocky and not in the same ballpark for beaches. I would contend Playa Esmeralda where the Sol is located is probably one of the nicest I've seen in Cuba. Just my opinion of course. Hope that helps. I wrote reviews of both resorts if you click my name. However, it's been a few years since I was last in Jibacoa so maybe it has changed a bit. Good luck.

Edited: 01 June 2013, 21:42
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jibacoa
Level Contributor
3,073 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Would appreciate your thoughts.

Islander....I have never been to Holguin and I am thinking of it for next March. We are looking at going with my son and his family...they have a toddler. My son likes a swim up bar and I like a resort with lots of chairs and shade on the beach without having to set my alarm at 6:30am. Looking for hotel recommendations and wondering if you have any suggestions. My other preference would be a smaller resort.

Ontario
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Would appreciate your thoughts.

Traveller 666 Look at Playa Costa Verde..... We went there last June as my brother's family joined us...great value....nice resort

ottawa
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Would appreciate your thoughts.

Try Blau Costa Verde in Holguin-the best!

Dudley, United...
Level Contributor
2,146 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Would appreciate your thoughts.

traveller 666 I'm also going to say try pcv going for my 6th time next month lovely resort

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
102,141 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Would appreciate your thoughts.

My vote would also go for one of the three Holguin resorts on Pesquero beach. They are the Playa Pesquero, Playa Costa Verde and the Blau Costa Verde.

Here is a map of the area:

…photobucket.com/albums/…Pesquerobeach.jpg

Get answers to your questions about Holguin
Recent Conversations