We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling solo to Sol Luna & Mares?

Montreal (Québec)
Level Contributor
855 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling solo to Sol Luna & Mares?

I have been to Varadero 3 times now and I have never been anywhere else in Cuba.

Right now, I hope to go to Holguin next october and I was wondering if Sol Luna & Mares is a good choice for a single women.

I have heard there is not much happening there but I do like the pictures I have seen so far of the complex. Can you tell me about the excursions the hotel offers in the morning? It seemed to me like a good way to meet some people. The other excursions? What about the disco on the beach, is there people there at all? What about the animation team?

It this resort a good choice when travelling solo or not? If not, what other resort would you suggest?

All comments will be appreciated! Thanks!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Holguin, Guardalavaca
Level Contributor
14,381 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling solo to Sol Luna & Mares?

Hi Ya Maya. Holguin is soooo completely different to Varadero, especially with regard to nightlife and the freedom off of resort.

Your nearest disco (apart from the one at Sol) is in the town of Guardalavaca ~ about a 10-15 min cab ride away and this does not usually open until 11.30pm/12am, but gives you a chance to mingle with locals and tourists, although it is not usually too busy until a weekend.

If you want to go somewhere different to Varadero but try the local nightlife, maybe the Brisas or the Amigo (pref Brisas) would be a better option as the public beach, market, shops, 2 x restaurants and La roca disco are all within a 5/10 min (safe) walk away from these two resorts along the hotels' boardwalk.

Half of the Brisas resort is closed at the moment for renovations, the hotel section will re-open on 15th November so everything will be back to normal then. (I will be there on 16th..... lol!),

Excursions are the usual; dolphins, catamaran, Havana, Holguin, safari etc. The animation team are a very friendly bunch at Brisas, as are the rest of the staff, but at the end of the day it all depends on what you want/are looking for from your vacation.

For good nightlife you are better off sticking to Varadero but if you want to see a bit more of Cuban life whilst having a more relaxing, not too wild trip then Holguin/Guardalavaca could be your answer.

Hope this helps a little.

Montreal (Québec)
Level Contributor
855 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling solo to Sol Luna & Mares?

Thank you Loony Lou!

I do want to go to the disco but the nightlife is not necessarily what I am planning on every night... I do want to see something new, I won't go back to Varadero for a while!

I want to be able to visit a few things and see the cuban life. But, I would prefer an hotel where the animation staff can help you participate to activities if you are alone and then meet new people.

I thought Sol Luna & Mares was a good option because of the morning excursions they do offer. I read there is a mini-zoo visit, a bicycle trip to me Guadalavarca market, the visit of a fishermen's village, an ecological reserve, etc... I would appreciate some comments on those morning trips offered by this resort and on the activities.

Is this a very calm and boring hotel?

I will check for the Brisas.

salsa savant
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling solo to Sol Luna & Mares?

Hola Maya; I have been to the Sol several times. I did not go last year as I tried out the PRDO. It is a quite large spread out resort. I went with my boyfriend all of the times. I can not say I saw alot of singles. Not as easy to meet people I should think. I would recommend to you to go to the Brisas Trinidad del Mar which flies into Cienfuegos. It is a smaller resort, has no spa (yet) but would be easier to meet others, as it only has a couple of restaurants. There are excursions however it is the activity staff that make is oh so excellent. The activation staff are excellent. They are on par with the activation staff of the Club Amigo Guardalavaca. The salsa lessons are beyond belief. They pair you up with a professional dancer for each lesson. I am absolutely certain if you went there and asked the Activation team to look after you as you were solo they would be more than happy to do so. Not a great amount of night life as there is no disco on site but you could grab a cab to the town of Trinidad (about 10-15 minutes to the Plaza Major) for some great dancing and happening. It is kind of like Havana but much smaller. It would I guess be like comparing Quebec City to Montreal @ night. Good luck in your choice.