We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cayo Santa Marie comparable to Holquin?

Halifax, Nova...
Level Contributor
591 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cayo Santa Marie comparable to Holquin?

Just wondering which area is better in your opinion looking at eather the Memeroies in CSM or Blau Plus in Holquin?

Cambridge, Canada
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cayo Santa Marie comparable to Holquin?

Been to the Melia Los Dunas in CSM and just got back from the Blau on Monday night. Beaches are comparable as are the resorts in both areas. Longer drive to CSM and there really isn't much to do once there. Guardalavaca is just 18km from the Blau and the market there ( i have heard people refer to the market as the little market --- I found it to be quite large with lots of stuff to choose from). Having several choices in eating off resort in Guardalavaca would make the Blau my choice.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
100,305 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cayo Santa Marie comparable to Holquin?

I would also agree that the Blau Plus would be a better choice. The Cayos are a little too remote for my liking.

Halifax, Nova...
Level Contributor
591 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cayo Santa Marie comparable to Holquin?

Thanks every little tid bit of info helps...Is Guardalavaca safe to tour around?If I understand right there is a double decker bus that will pick u up and drop u off for $5 return?

Ottawa ON Canada
Level Contributor
437 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cayo Santa Marie comparable to Holquin?

Guardalavaca is very safe to tour around but other than the market there is very little to see. You are correct about the bus.

Halifax, Nova...
Level Contributor
591 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cayo Santa Marie comparable to Holquin?

Its been a hard decision on where to stay toss up between Blau,PCV or the Riu and then to top it all off our agent is throwing trips to Santa maria at a good price.

Cambridge, Canada
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cayo Santa Marie comparable to Holquin?

I took a horse and carriage from the Blau (at 11am) instead of the Hoho bus. The operator spoke reasonable English and the scenery on the way was great. I had him stop in Playa Esmerelda for an hour where I checked out the beach and had 4 beers while he waited with horse and carriage. We then went to Guardalavaca where he dropped us at the market for an hour or so so we could shop and check out the beach there and have a few beers. He then took us to a paladar called La Uva which is not far from Brisas where a lobster lunch with salad and rice was 12 pesos (he waited across the road). We then returned to the Blau arriving around 3:30pm. This cost 40 pesos which is an excellent price. This price is for up to 4 people so if two couples share it it costs each couple 20 pesos. I found this to be a very informative and pleasurable way to see a few places I wanted to without having to stick to the schedule of the packed hoho bus.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
100,305 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cayo Santa Marie comparable to Holquin?

Jennifer B:

As the others have said Guardalavaca is very safe to tour around. It's only a small place and they their own police station.

Let us know when and where you decide to go.

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
2,709 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cayo Santa Marie comparable to Holquin?

While the beach at the Blau is nice - IMHO it can't compare to the beach in Cayo Santa Maria. If the beach is the most important part of your decision - Cayo Santa Maria is the nicer beach by far!!!

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
100,305 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cayo Santa Marie comparable to Holquin?

2cubaigo:

I have to agree with you there. The beach at Cayo Santa Maria is much better than Pesquero beach. I gave CSM beach a 9 whilst Pesquero beach I rate 6 out of 10.

Winnipeg Manitoba
Level Contributor
42 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cayo Santa Marie comparable to Holquin?

I have stayed at Memories in Cayo Santa Maria, and in Holguin. I really enjoyed Memories and you will have a good time whatever you decide. I would say that I preferred Holguin because I enjoy interacting with the local culture and Santa Maria is extremely remote. The only interaction you will have is with the resort staff. Bottom line...relaxation and tranquility - Cayo Santa Maria. A little bit more adventure - Holguin.