We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa Pesquero vs Sol Rio De Luna Y Mares

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Playa Pesquero vs Sol Rio De Luna Y Mares

Hello, we are getting married next year in Cuba at either Playa pesquero or Sol rio de luna y mares.

just wondered if anyone has been to both of these hotel so that you can compared and give us a opinion on what you think is the better hotel?

We have never been to Cuba so it is a first for us and any views would be greatly appreciated :)

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Playa Pesquero
Playa Pesquero
680 Reviews
Cuba
Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa Pesquero vs Sol Rio De Luna Y Mares

You might find this site interesting with regards to weddings at Melia properties in Cuba..

www.weddingcubachannel.com

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Toronto
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa Pesquero vs Sol Rio De Luna Y Mares

You might have made your decision already. If not, hopefully this message would help you. I had been to both resorts in Holguin, I would definitely choose Playa Pesquero over Sol Rio De Luna Y Mares. Although Luna Y Mares' beach is nicer, Playa Pesquero is a much better resort in terms of the rooms and facilities. The Playa Pesquero's a la carte restaurants are excellent. We were there to celebrate my husband's birthday last year and were able to contact them by email to book a la carte restaurant and a cake (free of charge) prior to our trip.

Mentioned in this post
Playa Pesquero
Playa Pesquero
680 Reviews
Cuba
Montreal
Level Contributor
4,488 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Playa Pesquero vs Sol Rio De Luna Y Mares

I have also been to both and agree completely with the above post.

The only area that SRLM has Playa Pesquero beat is the beach. Everything else (food, service, facilities, drinks, pools, etc..) is far superior at Playa Pesquero in my opinion.

Mentioned in this post
Playa Pesquero
Playa Pesquero
680 Reviews
Cuba
Grimsby, Canada
Level Contributor
450 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Playa Pesquero vs Sol Rio De Luna Y Mares

We have been to PP multiple times, have not gone to SRLM, but based on chats on the beach, site seeing and from what I have read here on TA over the years, I am confident in opining that PP is the better choice, albeit more expensive.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
752 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Playa Pesquero vs Sol Rio De Luna Y Mares

Have been to both: SRLM once, PP 8 times and married there. So I guess that answers it for me. The beach at SRLM is absolutely beautiful, but it's nice at PP also, and every other aspect is better at PP (well, in our eyes anyway). We've been all over the island and keep returning here.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Playa Pesquero vs Sol Rio De Luna Y Mares

I've been to both, and I'm going to agree with above, with a codicil ...

No question that the above posters are Correct and the PP is the Better hotel...

Not sure from England, but for Canada, SLyM is about 1/2 the price of the PP; But when you are booking a destination wedding, you also have to see the price for your Guests.

We missed my Nephew's wedding, because we couldn't afford to pay for the 5-star in Acapulco.

Just a second thought, but I wish you All the Best for your wedding!!! :)

Mentioned in this post
Acapulco
Acapulco
Guerrero, Mexico
toronto
Level Contributor
827 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Playa Pesquero vs Sol Rio De Luna Y Mares

Where are you looking at prices Gian T? SRLM is one of my favourite places, mainly because of the beach and beautiful ocean views. I have no interest in PP because of its larger size but I am tempted because everytime I compare prices it is the cheaper of the two and I do think the prices for SRLM are higher than they should be.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
851 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Playa Pesquero vs Sol Rio De Luna Y Mares

We have got very good prices for SRLM in shoulder seasons and had good luck with the weather. We like the hotel. PP seems too large for the kind of beach vacation I like, but it might suit the original poster. its a matter of how you set priorities, i guess.

Hope your wedding in Cuba is great regardless of the venue!

Bruce

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
102,849 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Playa Pesquero vs Sol Rio De Luna Y Mares

The Playa Pesquero complex resembles a small village and it covers a vast area, so despite the number of rooms you never get the feeling that the resort is overcrowded. It would always get my vote.

Mentioned in this post
Playa Pesquero
Playa Pesquero
680 Reviews
Cuba
Matane, Québec
Level Contributor
57 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Playa Pesquero vs Sol Rio De Luna Y Mares

I would choose SRLM anytime : excellent service, very nice beach for wedding pictures, the choice of 2 very different sections (Luna, quiet, and Mares, animated) which would please every guests tastes.