We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa Pesquero sickness April 2014

Liverpool
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Playa Pesquero sickness April 2014

Hi, we are travelling on 16 April to PP and have recently read the reviews....does anyone know how bad this food poisoning/sickness is? we have 2 young children and are now pretty worried?

thanks

toronto
Level Contributor
43 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa Pesquero sickness April 2014

It does seem worrisome, but wanted to mention it may not be food related. Where we live in Canada a major gastro tummy bug just went through our cities. My husband was away on business in the USA last week and got it 2 days after he arrived the exact time my son and I had it here at home. So am wondering how many people had the bug from home and then fell ill there and then the germ spread begins with everyone else at the resort? Just a thought.

Ontario
Level Contributor
2,263 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa Pesquero sickness April 2014

so much if information not given from a professional can really skew reality...or in this case cause.

People get ill on an airplane and start feeling bad at the resort and blame the resort.... People come with bugs and share them via tongs at the buffet or in an array of other manners.

NOT specific to this resort but I do know that Cuba takes hygiene and healthcare very seriously. And this is for several reasons. They are an educated population and understand the cause & effects of pathogens. They also have limited resources so do more proactive measures plus they know the value of tourist $'s and what a bad reputation can do to sales.

Take your Purcell, and your Lysol spray or wipes and be careful with your kids that they do wash....bugs one town to the next can be different then just think of the mix of all the different people from different countries and a hot climate.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
96,793 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Playa Pesquero sickness April 2014

cubagirlliverpool:

Follow the guidelines listed above and I'm sure you will be fine. Personal hygiene is important particularly when in an humid climate. Make sure all the food is hot and well cooked.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,302 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Playa Pesquero sickness April 2014

A lot of issues seem to arise with the difference in diet while on vacation. Maybe even to much of it. To much booze. And likely the biggest combind with the other 2 is the sun. Moderation is the key and defineatly what Canuks mentioned. Not all is the resorts fault.

Cheers

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
32,819 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Playa Pesquero sickness April 2014

No one can say the sickness is food poisoning without having samples taken and analysed. Most problems of this type, that people automatically call food poisoning, are gastric bugs that spread like wildfire, especially in confined places like aircraft. If someone is less than scrupulous about hygiene, and touch seatbacks etc whilst on their way to the toilet etc. it only needs someone carrying the bug and it's off! I often wonder how many people that have an gastric bug would cancel their holiday? Probably not many, and it's that sort of thing that's starts the problem.

Not saying it's not food poisoning, just that it's impossible to say without proof.

Lurgan, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Playa Pesquero sickness April 2014

Only 13 more sleeps WHOOP-WHOOP i noticed DominoOne had a good time over on the review threads (NOT) As my partner says a good RUM & COKE kills all known germs, BRING IT ON

Liverpool
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Playa Pesquero sickness April 2014

Thank you so much for all who replied... Really appreciate it... Gloves and gas masks at the ready! Still looking forward to it

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
96,793 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Playa Pesquero sickness April 2014

cubagirlliverpool:

Please do let us know how you get on once you return.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
332 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Playa Pesquero sickness April 2014

mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/thomas-cook-cub…

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
32,819 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Playa Pesquero sickness April 2014

and if it's in the Daily Fail it must be true.......... There is more than a whiff of compensation in the air, especially when said company of 'lawyers' are involved, but the UK lives in a compensation culture these days and peoples first stop is always a no win no fee company.