We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paradisus Renovations?

ontario
Level Contributor
477 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Paradisus Renovations?

Hi there,

Is there some kind of renovations going on currently? I feel like I read somewhere that they are closing the pool this summer?? We will be traveling in mid-July and are considering this resort (NOT royal - too expensive) Is there only the one pool so we would be out of luck? Also is the beach as bad as some say for the regular rooms? (I don't want to go to the royal beach which I understand is nicer and lie on my towel like an intruder).

Anyone have info on renovations?

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Paradisus Renovations?

There are pool renos happening the first full week of July -mid Aug. They are planning on shuttling people to there sister resort for pool people . As for the beach you will not have a problem with it. Great snorkeling or just laying around. You will NOT be disappointed with this resort or the GREAT SERVICE!!

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Paradisus Renovations?

There are pool renos happening the first full week of July -mid Aug. They are planning on shuttling people to there sister resort for pool people . As for the beach you will not have a problem with it. Great snorkeling or just laying around. You will NOT be disappointed with this resort or the GREAT SERVICE!!

Edited: 13 June 2014, 16:02
ontario
Level Contributor
477 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paradisus Renovations?

What is their sister resort? & I assume they only have 1 pool?

London, United...
Level Contributor
107 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paradisus Renovations?

As trvel bear says, they will soon refurbish the pool (there is only one) and I endorse his comments regarding the beach; it is heavenly and the sea is clean, clear and warm - it was 26deg in March and will be even warmer now. They are also mid way through a programme of updating the bathrooms and washbasin areas by renewing the tiling (with a hideous fawn colour which clashes horribly with the white tiles in the room) and replacing the bath/mixer shower with a walk in shower. Frankly we prefer the old bathrooms as my wife like her evening bath!. FYI in March they had completed blocks 36, 38, 40 and 42 and were moving on to block 31.

One thing to be wary of is the quality of the mattresses. They are all 15 years old and shot; most are very soft and all have protruding springs. If you are prone to back ache don't go as, uniquely for a five star holiday hotel they don't have a stock of spares to cater for individual customer needs.

In all other areas it is a superb place with lovely people and great food.

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
833 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paradisus Renovations?

I believe someone said in another thread that guests would be taken next door to the Sol Rio de Luna Y Mares to use their pools.

Wellow, United...
Level Contributor
2,830 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paradisus Renovations?

MAIN POOL WILL BE CLOSED FOR REFURBISHMENT FROM 09/07/14 to 18/08/14. During this time they will taxi people that wish to go to the SLM hotel. They will be offering guests discounts for the Spa there and a meal at the RS restaurant, a turn down service as way of compensation, Also i feel there will be other extras happening too.

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Paradisus Renovations?

Well that sounds wonderful for those who spent the extra money on Royal Service . Really the management better think twice about this decision about allowing people to eat up in Royal service for free . There is not enough room up in that restaurant to allow all these people . Why would they not just step up the regular restaurants . If I were going in this time frame I would just pay for the cheapest room category .

ontario
Level Contributor
477 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paradisus Renovations?

IF we have to go next door to the Sol Luna, is it walkable to each resort by beach (are they right beside eachother on the beach?) For those of you who have been, do you think its worth going without a pool?? I am a beach person, but enjoy the pool areas too......lots of fun/activity, and after a day at the beach, nice to stop into the pool area for a while. I can't imagine the resort holds enough merit to go to without a pool (?) But I don't know, as I have never been. Comments from anyone who has been ?

Mont Tremblant...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Largo
Level Contributor
6,246 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paradisus Renovations?

Yes, the Sol Luna is easily accessible by the beach. And frankly, in my opinion, having access to the pool at the Sol Luna is not a huge bonus, both pools (Luna side especially) are small and nowhere near as nice as the Rio de Oro pool. You will also forego the quiet of the Rio de Oro, as Luna Mares is definitely a family resort.

Ontario
Level Contributor
2,263 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paradisus Renovations?

Hi guys..... just back from there (4 am) so a bit slow.

YES the pool at the resort is closing for a much needed refurbishing, from paint to pumps. (Dates already listed above) They have done as good a job as possible trying to keep the pool operating despite the age and the several named storms it has survived. They are getting all ready to undertake the job from paint to materials needed so once underway they will do it as quickly as possible.

YES there will be disruptions to guests....but the beach is open and they will be supplying buses on regular route to Luna Mares and will be supplying extra service at one of the restaurants there for the PRDO guests. Use of the pool at Royal, my understanding is not part of their plans. This in part to the restricted area. Royal has much less guests and the pool likewise is much smaller and it would be near to impossible to accommodate more people in or around the pool.

It is a job needed to keep up the quality care they try to offer to all the guests. After seeing the state of the pool last week.... It is time ...before more costly or time consuming repairs are needed.

In chatting with the staff, they are really torn by the whole event and have spent a fair bit of time planning. ....... but recognize that after it is complete all should be very happy.