We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cuban Rum

Barry SWales
Level Contributor
34 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Cuban Rum

Off to Holguin in three weeks, it would be nice to bring a couple of bottles of good Cuban rum. Does anyone have any recommendations and rough ideas of prices (£'S)? Thanks!!

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cuban Rum

12 year old Santiago $50 CUC There is also a 20 year old, but not sure of the price. That one smells like caramel and is extremely smooth to drink.

Edited: 03 August 2014, 19:28
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
12,864 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cuban Rum

The normal rums range from white rums (about CUC 3 or 4 for 75 cl) up to 7-year rums up to CUC 12 (about £8).

A friend who knew his rum recommended to me one white rum which sold at CUP 57 - which was less than £2.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cuban Rum

beardocubauk- do you recall the name of the white rum? I wouldn\t mind trying to find it next trip. I am guessing it would be a rum to mix with something and not drink straight. The ones I mentioned above are to be drunk straight up! lol..

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
12,864 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cuban Rum

Sorry - this was some years ago, and my memory fades. Plus, as I usually mix my drink, I am less worried about it.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
5,504 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cuban Rum

Some of the following are dark rums at reasonable prices: Caney, Santiago de Cuba, Ron Varadero. Havana Club 7 yrs, Ron Mulata, Cubay. Most should be under 10 CUC. I haven't met a dark rum I didn't like. There should be a decent selection at your hotel or at the airport. Although sometimes supply can be spotty.

Unless you are a real rum connoisseur, I find that paying more than 10 cuc for a bottle is a waste. Especially when people buy fine rums and then mix it with coke or ice which is just a crying shame and sacrilegious because you may as well buy the cheapest thing on the shelf for the abuse you are heaping upon this fine nectar of the gods.

And by the way, you cannot take rum in your carryon bag through security when leaving Cuba. Either pack it in your checked luggage or buy it in the departure lounge after the security check point. But be forewarned that if you have your heart on something specific, you may not find it at the airport.

Barry SWales
Level Contributor
34 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cuban Rum

So if I decide to leave it until the airport, should I keep some Cuban cash or will they except £GB? and thanks for all your answers!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
5,504 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cuban Rum

You could keep some Cuban cash, I usually bring back about 50 to 60 CUC for my next trip, nothing goes to waste. Or you could pay with a credit card.

In most airports there is usually a currency exchange booth in the departure area.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cuban Rum

My opinion I prefer Santiago de Cuba over Havana Club. I have been buying the 7 Yr Santiago de Cuba at 7.5O CUC and only drink it over ice. Last year I bought 12 Yr and yes it is smoother but it cost 50.00 CUC and truthfully there is nothing wrong with the 7 Yr.

Canada
Level Contributor
3,697 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cuban Rum

sssnakes said"

"Unless you are a real rum connoisseur, I find that paying more than 10 cuc for a bottle is a waste. Especially when people buy fine rums and then mix it with coke or ice which is just a crying shame and sacrilegious because you may as well buy the cheapest thing on the shelf for the abuse you are heaping upon this fine nectar of the gods."

and I could not agree more!

It really depends on how you intend to consume it. I like my ron straight up with a cold cervesa on the side. The sweet spot for sipping worthy Cuban rums for me price-wise is around the 25-50 mark. I like to experiment and I haven't had a bad one yet either. :-)

Not mentioned is the Santiago de Cuba 11 yo which was 40 CUC. I got a bottle of this in January and it was very good. I've had the 12 yo which is also excellent but I would love to try them side by side to see if the 12 is worth the additional 10 pesos. Sounds like an experiment worthy of spirited debate and an entire afternoon!

There are no bad rums in Cuba and I find that price actually is a pretty good indicator of quality for the most part. Up to around 60 CUC or so anyway, I can't speak to anything above that.

Edited: 05 August 2014, 23:29
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
5,994 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cuban Rum

Hola

I wish someone would bring back the barrel proof....that was great stuff for the money...much better than it's replacement IMO.......blind test Barrel Proof is the clear winner....

cheers.