We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holguin or Varadero

Burlington, ON
Level Contributor
159 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Holguin or Varadero

My spouse and I, both in our late 20's, are deciding between the two. We found a great deal for the Blau that we are considering. We want R & R but a 'live' scene as well. We have both been to Varadero twice before and thought Holguin might be a nice alternative. Thoughts??

ottawa
Level Contributor
3,236 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holguin or Varadero

Holguin is a lot quieter than Varadero and an expensive cab ride into the city if you want to spend time in any of the clubs in Holguin.

Montreal
Level Contributor
4,343 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holguin or Varadero

When are you travelling?

If it's in low season (now thru to December) most hotels in Holguin will be verrrrry quiet, probably no more than half full. If you're looking for a bit of evening nightlife, you're better to stick to Varadero.

As Santana says, there's no one where close by to go- over an hour for a ride into Holguin City.

Cambridge, Canada
Level Contributor
1,869 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holguin or Varadero

Holguin is a lot more quiet than Varadero. It's not like Varadero where you can walk down the street from your resort or take a short cab ride into town and be at a club/bar/restaurant. Holguin city is about an hour away.

There used to be beach parties on Guardalavaca beach where the locals used to go. With the new resort going up there they stopped it as far as I know. Perhaps someone who has been recently can give you a heads up as I don't know how the construction is coming along.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
2,341 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holguin or Varadero

I have stayed at both areas, and there is no comparison if you want any type of night activity.

They used to have the beach parties every night, so when I stayed at Brisas I had the option of wandering down to the resort next door and joining in. Was great. Without that option now, its going to be the same as any other area/resort you have stayed at. The disco is what you make it at night, with probably 10-15 people there and dead before midnight..lol.

Holguin is a nice area, very different and a great place to relax...but thats about it. Just know there are really No options to do anything in the evening.

Canada
Level Contributor
96 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holguin or Varadero

We stayed at the blau varadera and are going back to Holquin this year and will stay at the sol Rio de Luna Y mares. It has very good reviews as well. The blau was very good but has gotten more pricey plus we thought a change would be nice. The beach looks fantastic

Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holguin or Varadero

Varadero know argument :)

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
99,746 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holguin or Varadero

It depends exactly want you want out of a holiday. Varadero for the younger people I would say. Holguin for those who prefer it quieter.

London, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Holguin or Varadero

There are two Cubas, Havana and the rest. Varadero is an offshore bubble which locally gives you holiday nightlife but no feel for Cuba except that is is within day trip reach of Havana which is really educational. The Holguin area is remote but onshore with walks to rural Cuba countryside, local forests, farmland and villages where the locals (most of them country folk carrying machettes!!) are incredibally friendly, with Holguin merely a bus ride away to show urban life. In Holguin you will experience Cuba but not Havana - unless you make the long trek to the capital. In Varadero you will not get to know Cuba but, with a long coach ride you can get the interesting but blinkered view of Havana. My personal view is that you will get a better understanding of the country, in addition to a relaxing and quality holiday, in Holguin

Canada
Level Contributor
96 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Holguin or Varadero

i agree with your comment. the price of the Blau in Varadero has gone way up, so we also are going to sol rio in Holgquin

10. Re: Holguin or Varadero

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2015, 06:16