We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best excursion in Guardalavaca-Holguin area?

Bruce Peninsula...
Level Contributor
387 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Best excursion in Guardalavaca-Holguin area?

Looking for an excursion in the Guardalavaca-Holguin area, have been on the "Ocean Paradise Seafari". Have heard people say the jeep tour was awesome, looking for something different, a way to see the inside of Cuba any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again D&T Stark Ont.

Leeds, West...
Level Contributor
475 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best excursion in Guardalavaca-Holguin area?

hi there,

just got back from Guardalavaca ( Club Amigo ) a couple of days ago. Where are you staying ? I actually brought a list of all the Excursions along with prices home with me. These were with our Hol company ( Thomas cook uk based ) but all of the excursions are done through a company called CUBANACAN which is based in Guardalavaca. Its a long reply this, please let me know if you need to know anything else

We did the Havanna over nighter which was wicked !! a defo trip there is needed. The people i got speaking to thought the Havanna trip was amazing and also the Dolphin Swim and the Catermaran. But let me know where you are staying so i can let you know about some other things that are going on that are not done through the tour operators.

Havanna overnighter which includes a trip to the Tropicana 325 cuc

** if you do not want to do the tropicanna it will save you roughly 60 cuc. We went and were glad we did even thou it was a bit pricey it was well worth it.

Havanna by day 195 cuc

Fantastica

where you visit the indian cemetery, go through all the countryside and see all the farming methods including the plantations. PLUS a 20 minute swim with the dolphins 130 cuc

Santiago by day 69 cuc

Cuba inside

Boarding a 100 year ols train visiting the countryside and sugar canes then on to a Cigar factory in Holguin. Cathedarl sqaure visit that over looks the city. 59cuc

Champion tour

Explore the countyside by jeep. Visit the colonial fishing town of Gibara, Horse back riding to the Roc Azul Park and then the chance to take control of your own jet ski. 74cuc

Island Paradaise 79cuc

sail out to Cayo Saetia, whilst on the island you can hire a jeep to take you aroung the nature reserve.

Ocean paradise 69cuc which is a all inc day out on a luxury catermaran, including lobster lunch

Boat adventure take control of your own speed boat for 2 hours 35 cuc

sport fishing 68cuc

A day out fishing

let me know if you need to know anything else hope this helps you

All the Best and happy hols x

Michelle

Leeds ( UK )

Bruce Peninsula...
Level Contributor
387 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best excursion in Guardalavaca-Holguin area?

Thanks Michelle, we are staying at the Sol Luna Mares, we where there in May and are returning with friends. Your list is much appreciated, we couldn't remember the prices. The Cayo Saetia trip sticks out as a must do, but haven't heard anything reguarding this trip. I do remember hearing you travel by helicopter or by yatch to the island reserve, is this right? Thanks D&T

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Holguin, Guardalavaca
Level Contributor
14,381 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best excursion in Guardalavaca-Holguin area?

Hi Wiarton, Yes the trip is on a 2 tier boat, its called Island Paradise and costs $79 CUC ( $48 for kids), Including Lunch and the option to snorkel. There is also opportunity of a jeep safari which is an extra 9 Pesos.

Bruce Peninsula...
Level Contributor
387 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best excursion in Guardalavaca-Holguin area?

Thanks Loonylou, just curious on how long this boat trip was, Cayo Saetia appears to be a fare trip.

Thanks D&T

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,381 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best excursion in Guardalavaca-Holguin area?

Sorry Wiarton, I have no idea how long the trip is. I don't think they do the the Santiago by helicopter anymore either - unless they do it from the Cubanacan office in Guardalavaca.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,381 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best excursion in Guardalavaca-Holguin area?

Sorry - dughhhh !!!... I meant Cayo Saetia - not Santiago !!

salsa savant
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best excursion in Guardalavaca-Holguin area?

I have gone on the heli trip to Cayo Saetia 2 x. When I went back I did not do the jeep tour because the animals that you see were mainly just the deer-like animals and alot of dust. You stop at an alligator pen and they poke at the gator. I went back because I liked the little beach and the buffet restaurant and the helicopter ride is amazing. They invite everyone up to speak to the pilot while in flight. We brought gifts for the workers at the Restaurant which they REALLY appreciated. You can also hire a boat to take you snorkelling which was interesting but no better than at Playa Esmeralda. I would imagine it to be quite a long sail but enjoyable.

Bruce Peninsula...
Level Contributor
387 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best excursion in Guardalavaca-Holguin area?

Hey Tigericious, We just wanted to say thanks for the GREAT! snorkelling tips you gave us last spring. We ended up choosing SLM, on Playa Esmeralda, the snorkelling is the best we have ever experienced. We have posted some of the snorkelling pics. on webshots.com under the Community Photos for SLM. check them out.

Thanks again D&T

P.S. the pic. beside our name was taken in front of La Pinta snack bar at SLM

toronto
Level Contributor
140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best excursion in Guardalavaca-Holguin area?

wIARTON..When are you going to the sol lunas mares we are going on the 15 to 29 oct...are you there at that time..have a drink together ...

salsa savant
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best excursion in Guardalavaca-Holguin area?

Hi Wiarton; Glad the snorkelling tip worked out well for you. If you ever get the chance you might want to ck out the Trinidad, Cuba area. Last Jan. sisters and I stayed at the Brisas, I walked down to the Costa Sur (a 2 star which was being heavily renovated after the Hurricane - I think). It had amazing snorkeling on the adjacent beach. Different than the Esmeralda but really neat. I didn't get a chance to explore all the snorkeling spots but I'd like to go back someday. I am waiting to see how the trip reviews are for the Costa Sur as I really liked this area with the town of Trinidad nearby. Alsoc had a decent sailing excursion to the Playa des Iguanas with a rigorous guided snorkel tour. You may want to keep that area in mind too when you need a change from the SLM. Have a great trip.